Overwhelmed

MichelleS61
on 4/26/18 10:45 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I think you're always going to find negative nellies out there, but I did actually manage to find a local facebook group (restricted) that is pretty supportive and generally just informational like this site.

You will find there are things you used to eat that you both miss and shouldn't eat, my understanding of the VSG is you shouldn't have the sort of interolances that can occur with RNY but I'm thrilled with how I'm doing, and I really like the tags people have on this site, so you can see how they've done/doing.

I too did for health reasons primarily although the weight loss is nice, the VSG wasn't an option for me, but for my health issues the RNY is considered the Gold Standard.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Hope_is_all_I_need
on 4/26/18 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm only 5 weeks out from RNY but I wanted to add my two cents. I have had some minor issues since surgery. I have had very bad constipation/hard bm ( sorry for the tmi but it's true!) and I've had some migraines that I used to take Motrin for and haven't been able to find an alternative that works. With all that being said, my back and joints have already stopped hurting, and I have more energy. I'm overall happier because I've taken some control over life and I've started to put food in its place!This is a serious life changing experience not just another fad diet I'm trying that I'll stop when I don't like it anymore. It's got some trade offs but I'm looking down the road at a much healthy and stronger person. Hope you make whatever decision will make you the happiest life long:)

Orientation Oct 24, 2017 at Humber; Meet surgeon Dec 12/17. Internist Jan 24/18; SW/Nut/nurse appt Feb 15/18;surgery March 19/18

Opti -12; M1 -25; M2 -18; M3- 18 M4-9 M5-11 M6-7

SKimster
on 4/26/18 4:35 pm
VSG on 05/22/18

Thank you so much! Yes that's exactly how I feel. I'm not worried about the trade offs. Being healthy is what I really want. Having my first grand baby makes me want to try my very hardest. I've never wanted something so much. I want to be around for a long time to come. Without this change I won't be. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 4/27/18 10:34 am

FB peeps are the worst when it comes to whining. I joined then deleted the group after I couldn't take the negativity any longer. That's when I found OH.

How can you not eat healthy after surgery? the surgeon doesn't take out the good judgment part of our brains, that's just plain laziness if you ask me. Where's the effort at?

On to my next point.. I had VSG surgery on March 17 2018. I have had nothing but great results so far. Stick to this forum and you'll be just fine. At a little over 4 weeks out, the dietician told me that I could slowly increase my calories with a target of 1000/ day within the next few weeks. Plus I can add weights into my work out in another 3-4 weeks. The scale doesn't move much (32lb total) but the inches sure do. I'm down 2 pant sizes all ready and can now fit into 1x tops instead of 2 or even 3x.

I love this ride!

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

YYC_Healthy
on 5/2/18 3:43 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

Hi, my VSG is scheduled for May 23! Anxious about the surgery itself and everything afterwards. I am after better health, oh, to walk a kilometre without my knees screaming at me. I have been steadily losing since last May, however was UP on my last appointment. I have my final pre op,appointment on Friday and am confident I am back on track for my weight trending downwards. I too feel moments of panic, but when I read all of these success stories I realize how much help there is for me. I have had to go on a PPI , I am having some tummy issues due to anxiety. That has calmed down, for now. Let us know how your pre op appointment goes.

Most Active