Update and Check In - Lessons Learned

SweetRide1
on 4/15/18 6:40 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Good Morning Everyone,

Albeit, it's a pretty yucky Sunday morning here in Southern Ontario. It's a perfect time to catch up with everyone.

I thought I'd check in after a two week vacation to Alabama - visiting friends and training my dogs. We go every spring.

The good news is that I lost another 3 lbs while on vacation which is great because I was worried. We did a lot of eating out, which means not being in complete control of what I was eating and way more sodium than I would normally eat. I didn't have access to wifi so I was unable to track my food which made me a bit anxious. I really wanted to know where I was at. I did some quick calculating in my head but it just wasn't the same. I have become a food journalling junky!

I learned that in the deep south, even if you ask for broiled seafood, it will arrive on your plate swimming in butter. Yikes! Fried food is the way of the deep south. I found it tough working my way through some menus and finding healthy options. Even the salads were trying. LOL

Crawfish is great and a very social event, however too spicy does not sit well in this new pouch. I also couldn't seem to chew the tails enough and they just kinda sat in my stomach. I love crawfish so hopefully by next year my pouch will be more accepting.

I learned that not paying attention to your bite sizes, not chewing enough, and eating too quickly is a REALLY BAD COMBINATION. I got so caught up in conversation over dinner one evening with a bunch friends that I stopped paying attention. Well, my pouch got my attention back really quick after a piece of chicken got stuck. Ohhhh NOT FUN! I experienced the foamies for the first time and now understand real pain and what everyone has been talking about.

I tried the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt and it's OK. It worked for me while I was there but to be honest, I prefer my plain skyr with added fresh blueberries and strawberries. I realize over processed food is not something I like anymore and the more processed the food, the more my pouch feels unhappy.

All of these are great lessons and I understand how this is an ongoing process.

My friends took tons of pictures of me which I happily let them post on FB. Typically I would run from cameras and beg people not to post my pictures. I HATED looking at myself. One friend, gasped when she saw me, walked over with tears in her eyes and hugged me so hard that it almost hurt. She was sooo happy for me. The reaction from my American friends, who had not seen me in a year was almost overwhelming.

I think my biggest lesson learned was that I am able to accept compliments gracefully and say thank you and mean it. I have always poo-pooed compliments and tried to ignore them. Weird, I know, but I have. I made a conscious decision to accept compliments with grace and dignity. Now I love to hear them - keep them coming.

I had a great vacation, but I'm glad to be home. I want to get back to my routine. I seem to have much more energy and I'm ready to hit the gym. I think I'll go and do a few privates with a Trainer and get my body back in shape.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been two weeks! LOL

Have a great day and stay safe. It's very nasty here in my neck of the woods - ice pellets and snow - waiting on the next wave of freezing rain. Yuck! :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

oneatatime
on 4/15/18 7:03 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Welcome back!!! It's so good to hear from you. I've been wanting to text you, but wasn't sure when you're back.

Im so glad your trip was a success, with weight loss, compliments, and one small case of foamies.

Cant wait to see you! Once this weather clears... crazy April!!! ((Hugs))

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Murt65
on 4/16/18 3:57 am

It's gret to hear you are home safely but what a weekend to come home. I bet you wish you are still there. Congrats on the weight loss. Now back to reality and routine which isn't always a bad thing.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

Most Active