My experience - sorry its late.

corriev
on 3/26/18 12:53 pm
VSG on 03/06/18

Sorry I have taken so long to post - I had my Sleeve done on the 6th of March, and wanted to share my experience.

I was scheduled for 10:30 and was at the Guelph hospital by 8:30. Got weighed in and got my pre op room. Right of the bat, I need to echo how amazing the nurses and staff were at the Guelph hospital. They made my journey so much smoother.

My surgeon came out to meet me and my wife around 9:30 to explain time frames etc, and just to make my wife more comfortable on the expectation, and then the waiting started, it felt like an eternity, but when the nurses eventually came to get me , my heart was racing. The anesthetist came to say hi, and gave me a quiz "so why is the Center of a flame blue, and is the process of a flame chemical or physical?" great questions to keep my mind off the process.

I was wheeled into the theatre and I felt it very cold, the nurse said, "our equipment and hands are cold, but all our hearts are warm" they made me comfortable with warm sheets after I moved to the surgery table. Then I heard them counting all the tools , everything even swabs, and then double counting. After the anesthetist and surgeon came into the room, they asked me to confirm who I was and what they were doing on me that day, after explaining the anesthetist said its time. First injection was to relax me and second injection would "help you sleep" . I was gone quick.

I remember waking up with a nurse saying, do you need to drink anything? At that stage I was parched so took a glass of water (instead of the small medicine cup as suggested) and chugged. I got to the second swallow and it came right back out. Thought I was going to be thirsty the rest of my life. So I sipped the medicine cup from then onward.

Back in the room, and very groggy I had very bad dry heaves, and boy did it hurt. Actually the night I actually threw up clear blood and thought I ripped open, but the doctor checked and it was all good. Still sipping away, fortunate all meds were pushed through my IV. The nurses did their best to keep me comfortable , but I had to measure all my intake. You be surprised that a medicine cups can be 3 sips. Then I need to measure how much I urinated. To my surprise it was grass green, I commented to the nurse that this is awesome, Green "P" just in time for St Padys day.

Then the hiccups started, and the damn things lasted what seemed to be hours at a time. And with that there was the balls of "saliva foam" that I needed to spit out every so often.

Dinner was interesting, Apple juice and vegetable broth. Tasted so good, but took 2 hours to get down. That night I was well rested, expect for my neighbor that would face time his international family and wasn't quite at all in his conversation.

Breakfast was tea, and apple juice. And once again I needed to measure my intake and out put. The nurse changed it up through, I needed to walk to the washroom this time. I needed to get up every hour and walk, which I didn't mind at all.

The worst and it stung like a bee sting was the multiple heparin shots in the belly. Dang they stung.

Anyhow. Doctor came that afternoon and said I can go home if I wanted but need needed to go see the nurse at 9 am the next day, I opted to stay another night and got my papers around 9 am the next day. Could go home until i passed gas or did #2.

So I'm about 3 weeks into it now, I am listening to my body, and even if the recipe says ½ cup of anything and I get full sooner, I stop, my energy levels have increased and I have no more, or very little pain in my knees and back. I'm down around 40 pounds already and still have a way to go..Like cutting new holes in my belt to tighten it up.

I go see the nurse again tomorrow for bloods and vitamin list. I am using my fitness pal to monitor what I am eating, but protein and hydration is my number 1 priority now, and Tuna with vegetable soup and I have become best friends.

For me, it was a tuff journey, but so worth it. First thing I did when I went to the shop was buy a bicycle. I haven't been able to cycle for around 20 years and I am anticipating being able to saddle up again in about 5 months.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best of luck.

LeslieCL
on 3/26/18 1:46 pm

Glad you're healing well and on your way, welcome to the loser's bench!

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/18 2:59 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I had my surgery at Guelph too but am through the TWH program.

I agree with how awesome the Guelph team is. I have no complaints and only the highest regard from them and my experience. My surgery was just last Monday. I had to stay three nights because my blood work was wacky.

Take care and so happy to hear about your experience!

Dee321ca
on 3/27/18 10:08 am

Congrats on your surgery! I have to say, as a pre-op, this was probably the best explanation of what it's like post surgery that i've read so far. Not sure if it is typical for everyone, but it painted a pretty clear picture for me. Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Referral - June 2017, Ultrasound & ECG - October 2, 2017 Orientation - October 30, 2017, Sleep Study - December 21, 2017, Pre-Nutrition Class - December 29, 2017, Nurse's Appt - January 24, 2018, Gastroscopy - March 1, 2018, Social Worker & Internist - March 29, 2018, Dietitian - May 9, 2018. Signed Consent - August 7, 2018. Surgery Date: October 3rd!

Joe D.
on 3/28/18 6:35 am
RNY on 02/09/18

Amazing write-up, totally agree regarding the heparin. Damm that hurt. I'm also bike shopping (6wks out) doing the PT thing so I have the mobility. Looking forward to some rides myself.

--Joe

CW: 223.6 HW: 374 PreOpti:340 Surg:327 GW:215 M1: -24 M2: -20 M3: -15.4 M4: -17.6 M5: -12 M6: -14

SKimster
on 3/28/18 9:39 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Thank you so much for your update. Due to other health issues it looks like I will be getting the sleeve as well. Glad to know everything is going well!!!

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Most Active