Won a trip to Europe

anncha
on 1/24/18 4:50 am

I'm currently in the US for my company's annual kick off meeting. I was super lucky to be one of the top performers in my department last year and I won Presidents Club which gives me an all expenses paid trip to Barcelona for 2, staying at the Ritz.

Obviously I'm delighted but the issue is the trip is April 15th for 5 days. I'm due to have my surgery Feb 27th. The trip cannot be cancelled or postponed (people from all over the world are going at the same time) there is no cash alternative and there is no way I could afford first class flights and the Ritz for 2 all expenses paid anytime soon lol

i read on the RnY forum people saying they travelled soon after surgery but I'm so very torn on what to do and who I should talk to from a medical stand point. Will the surgeons office answer my question? Would I call the bariatric clinic?

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

LeiLei43
on 1/24/18 4:56 am

Good Morning and Congratulations,

I would first speak with Dr. Sullivan's office. (I work for a surgeon) He would be the best to answer if your body will be ready to be on a flight. You will be almost 7 weeks post op at the point and should be okay to fly but I would check with him. You could also check in with one of the registered nurses to get their feedback as well. But from a medical standpoint you would want your surgeons clearance for sure. Good Luck!

SweetRide1
on 1/24/18 5:30 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I know you've waited a long time for that date and I'm sure you don't want to move it, but....you may be able to push your date out. Then you can go on this wonderful trip with no worries.

My centre told me they like people to wait 8 weeks before going out of country after surgery.

I think you also have to figure into the equation how well you will be eating at 7 weeks post op and will you be able to accommodate a somewhat finicky diet at that point in time. Everybody progresses differently.

Check with your surgeon for sure.

Good Luck. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Smoka
on 1/24/18 9:09 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi...this is great! I hope you are able to go. (I love to travel!)

I will let you know what my surgeon told me. I had a trip planned out of province (2 weeks after surgery). He told me to stay close to home for at least 6 weeks. If you have any complications, chances are, the doctors that will see you will not know how to deal with the Bariatric surgery you have just had. Also, we had another trip planned that I just got back from (Hawaii) and we waited for 3 months until after surgery to book out of the country. As it turns out, I did need to see a doctor (unrelated to WLS). When the doctor asked if I had had any kind of surgery lately, I told him that I had had Bariatric Surgery. His response was, "What's that?" (unbelievable!)

Anyway, I am sure that your centre will advise you what the best course of action is.

All the best with all of your plans.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Kathy1212
on 1/24/18 10:55 am

Congratulations on winning the trip! That is so exciting.

Like the others have said, check with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend. Maybe they can switch your surgery with someone who is having it a month later? Lot's of people would probably be thrilled to switch dates.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Scary.Airy
on 1/24/18 12:36 pm

Oh man. I would definitely check with your surgeon... but if you get the thumbs-up, I hope you decide to go! I would sooooo see that as such a fun, amazing way to 'kick off' your new start :)

Congrats!

Tuktu
on 1/24/18 1:05 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I hope you can sort something out -that sounds like an amazing trip and it would be sad to miss it, but your overall health is more important in the long run, so you do what is best for you!

anncha
on 1/24/18 1:07 pm

I've called and left a voicemail for the centre. I'll see what they say and take it from there.

My husband is really pushing me not to move dates for my surgery and thinks it's the wrong thing to do but at the same time I really don't want to miss out on this trip. I'm taking my friend who has never left Canada before. She's a stay at home mom with 4 young children and is unlikely to be able to go on a grown up vacation anytime soon - especially to Europe. She's getting her first every passport and she'd be just as disappointed as I would be. So, I'll wait and see what the clinic says and take it from there.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Ginnny
on 1/25/18 9:49 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Everybody is different but I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to miss out on that opportunity.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Green_limes
on 1/25/18 2:36 pm - Canada

Talk to your surgeon.

I had my RnY Sept 18. I knew I had to go to Orlando for work Nov 5 to 11. Spoke to Dr. Urbach at TWH when I had my meet the surgeon appointment about it and my family physician. Both said I would be fine to travel. Also went away for a week at an all inclusive to Jamaica on Dec 5.

Trips were fine. I was able to stay on plan without issue. Take a few individual packets of protein powder and a shaker bottle in your carry-on just in case you need a quick shake as a meal. Go to Barcelona and enjoy your trip!

Most Active