weight regain/ Carb v NoCarb/tricks and tips

RosieBelly
on 1/13/18 10:10 am

I know that Carbs v NoCarbs is a hot button topic in the community but I have just started talking the Managing Weight-gain seminar series at TOH and I am looking for the wisdom of the ages. Those of you who are far out from your surgery and have made the decision to eat carbs or avoid them how has it affected the weight regain or how have you managed your regain. Have you had a weight regain after a couple of years? Is anyone taking medication? As well those RnYers who have purposefully lost the extra pounds has that helped stem the regain? I guess what I am asking is those of you who have successfully kept the weight off for many years what has helped you the most?

I want to start with healthy habits now and make sure those habits are ingrained by the time my honeymoon is over!

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

crqvingchange
on 1/13/18 5:46 pm

I am 3.5 years post-op and the carbs I eat are almost always low starch veggies and low sugar fruit (berries, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms) If I eat a bread like product it is always low carb and I tend to go in spurts with those. The times I have seen a slight regain was because I ate the wrong kind of carbs.

In my opinion, carbs are what made me obese. I never overindulged in salad or chicken breast, but I could murder a large bowl of pasta or pizza.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

RosieBelly
on 1/13/18 6:54 pm

Amen sister! Good point. What about things made with almond flour? I am getting mixed info and want what works not what is theory. Thank you so much for answering.

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

crqvingchange
on 1/13/18 7:05 pm

Years ago I would cook with almond flour to make a special cake. They are pretty high in calories.

Over the years I have seen people on OH make psyllium husk crepes, flax crepes etc. Things that are almost all fibre tend to be very filling and can be a a good transition food if you are still not allowed dense meat like beef. Guelph said no red meat for 6 months and no raw veg. for 3 months. Also some people have difficulty with eggs and dry chicken in the beginning. Remember you have limited premium pouch space and you want to fill it with protein first and then the rest should be a little veg. Sticking to that during your honeymoon phase will get you to goal, help preserve muscle and hopefully limit the cravings.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active