One month Post-Op question

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/18 6:13 pm

Hello Team,

Tomorrow, I am one month Post OP and have a cold.

I have a question about... not getting full.

I read posts here and from other sites about people hating to eat, they get full after 2 bites, they struggle with reaching their targets.

I am blessed (I guess) I have no issues with these. I struggle with drinking but I am getting there. I feel like I drink just as much air as I do water. This is painful but again I am getting it done barely. I have tried many drinks and bottle tips. Wide mouth, small mouthed. Slow and fast. I like very COLD best. It feels as if the air in my esophagus and the liquid are fighting on another and I end up with a painful lump until one decides to give in. I can say this is improving as well though. It is much better then it was.

BUT! I can eat and eat. I can eat as fast as I like and I am trying to force myself to slow down. I have not had any pouch pain yet because of eating at all. I measure everything I eat because if I didn't I could just keep going. LOL I also get hungry.

I am one month post op tomorrow. Weird? Odd? Will this change? I was hoping to at least feel full as a trigger and maybe a little discomfort to say HEY! stop. I suppose I should count my blessings. What can I do to feel this comfort thing? hee hee I feel like my mind is keeping me accountable more hen my pouch. I have not vomited once. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

I am eating, yogurt, cottage cheese, meatballs, soups, tuna, turkey, eggs, cheese, premier shakes, crackers(gf), mousse, pretzels (gf). Everything is as sugar as it can be.

I look forward to salads. Another plus thing is. I love to drink milk now. I never enjoyed it before.

I am also on a 2 weeks stall. Started 2 weeks ago. I am staying away from the scale. It makes me cry.. LMAO true story. I have not touched it in a week. I am sticking to measurements and the guide. I have been cleared to start using the gym on Monday. Treadmill, elliptical and bike. I am excited for that.

I am happy and feeling well. I was nausea for a week but I found out it was hormone based! The dumping of hormones in my body was bringing on a form of morning sickness that lasted all day. My family doctor gave me some meds and I am feeling great. So much better and no more nausea. I still get tired after a busy afternoon but all and all .. All is well. (other then a head cold but that is not WLS related)

I start back to school, 42 hours a week, full time on Jan 11th. I look forward to it!

Sniffles and Cough. All is well.

Penny

crqvingchange
on 1/6/18 6:27 pm

Your nerves are still healing, so don't expect to feel full or have pain. When you say your mind is keeping you accountable more than your pouch that is a good thing that will serve you well in the long run. You've heard it before, but the pouch is only a tool. You have to decide if you are going to stick to the plan and not graze. i think you are doing well. I would not be surprised if the anti-morning sickness pills might have the side effect of making you hungry.

That stupid cold is going around. Both my DH and I have it. You are allowed to take Tylenol Cold and Flu if the symptoms get too much. You've got this girl.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/18 7:13 pm

That is great to hear! Knowing that it might be because of healing not being completed gives me hope. I do not want to suffer but I look forward to a helping hand by my stomach. I do measure religiously. I even bought a seperate 1 cup and 1/2 cup just for me because I using our good ones so often. Lol

TheRealMeWithin
on 1/6/18 6:42 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

the full feeling may still come, just go easy during this time and really watch your portions (like you seem to be doing).

Once the full feeling kicks in - you should lose the hunger. Not the head hunger, that is a lifelong battle I think, but the physical hunger should subside.

I also had scale stalls that early, try not to fret - it will pass.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/18 7:19 pm

Thank You! It brings me comfort to know it may come later.

I had one of the nurses tell me about the 3rd week stall and how many people go threw it. I just started at the 2nd week. I know this will pass and I am just staying off the scale until my bday on the 19th. I have a clinic appointment that day.

Thank you for you thoughts!

Stitch83
on 1/6/18 9:32 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

You are brave going back to school at a very full 42 hours at just four weeks! A friend indicated it was taxing to go back to work full time at 6 weeks and she needed half time for a bit due to exhaustion. I get that you can't control the school schedule though...so take care of yourself as much as you can with those crazy hours!

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/18 9:52 pm

I think I will be very tired when I get home but if it gets to be to much I can withdrawal from classes with out any issues and take them next semester. The school is aware of my surgery and have been very supportive. It is also so many hours because I am in a fast track program but I feel pretty good! Other then making funny faces when I drink fluids you could not tell. Also, it is all a bunch of sitting and a lot of brain work.

Here is to hoping for the best! I look forward to a schedule again. I have been staying up to late and sleeping to late. Although, I have really enjoyed the time off.

Stitch83
on 1/7/18 12:12 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Fingers crossed it goes well! I always find myself in that schedule too when I am off for a bit.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Kathy1212
on 1/7/18 7:48 am

Are you on the food for life stage yet, or still doing soft foods? I always felt more satiated once I was able to move to dense protein like steak, chicken, shrimp, etc. The softer foods like yogurt, soups, cottage cheese, etc. just slide right down and don't feel as filling. Once you're further out you should notice a difference. Also, you're being really good to measure your food. If you did take even one bite too many, you'd likely know it in a hurry :-).

I hope you'll feel better soon. What are you taking at school?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/18 1:21 pm

Thank you Kathy!

I do eat meatballs, Turkey, chicken, veggies but I mix them like the below.

2 poached eggs I add 2 or one meatball.

Soup with a 1/3 cup of turkey add

Cottage cheese with 1/4 cup of chicken or 1 meatball.

So as you can see I am much g the heavy foods with softer foods.

I do not sit down and just eat turkey or chicken alone. But I do eat meatballs alone.

I quit my job back in July to take the fast track course for medical admin. Hope to be done by this July coming up. Celebrate my degree and 6 months after surgery in OBX North Carolina. Looking forward to being able to look back on both journeys.

Most Active