Does this sound crazy?

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/17 1:33 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

As I consider my options, it's no surprise that I have been thinking a lot. Regardless of what I'm doing, my thoughts drift towards surgery, what it will mean for me and if it is right for me.

One of the main "issues" for me has been: why do I think this will work when everything else has failed? With every answer I formulate, I can't help asking, "If that's true, then why wouldn't (hasn't) a medical weight loss program work(ed)?" I know in my heart that I don't want to do another medical weight loss program and I don't believe it will work, but I feel that I need to be able to answer that question. Who knows? Maybe, given my size, they will feel that surgery is the best option without my justification, but I feel that it is an important thing for me to understand.

Yesterday I had an epiphany. For me, in my mind, "medical weight loss" programs are all about losing weight. I know, that's pretty "nose in front of your face" obvious. Surgery, on the other hand, is an aggressive treatment for my myriad of health problems, and weight loss is a happy side effect of it. Realistically, I know the difference is just semantics, but it works for me.

Losing weight is hard and I have always failed at it. It's so much pressure and just seems too big of a task. However, as my internist says, the one thing I have going for me is my compliance. Weight loss programs aside, I am extremely compliant with medical treatment. I always have been. The only successful weight loss I've ever had has been secondary to something else. When my husband and I were trying to get pregnant (before we found out it's not possible), I went to Dr. Shaban to control my diabetes. He gave me blood sugar guidelines that I followed, and as a side effect, I lost weight. Now, I'm losing weight again and it's because it's a side effect of the Victoza. I'm making changes to my lifestyle in order to qualify for the surgery, not to "lose weight." I'm not stressing out because weight loss is not my focus.

I know the lifelong changes that go along with the surgery will be a major challenge, but again, to me that is surgery after-care. If I want to maintain the improvements in my health, then I have to maintain the aftercare. I know myself, and I know that this is the only way it's going to work for me.

So, is it crazy that I'm not thinking about this as a weight loss tool, but as a health treatment with weight loss side effects?

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/24/17 5:42 am - Windsor, Canada

No I think that's wise.

People that go into surgery thinking they will be "skinny" are sometimes disappointed because their mental image doesn't jive with their reality. For example, they think they will automatically become a size 2 (very few get to that size) or they forget that they may have ugly skin

Going in with the thought that is about health will generally make you happier. If you measure your progress more by health and Non scale victories it is likely that you will be a happier patient.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

oneatatime
on 12/24/17 7:36 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I actually love your train of thought!! In fact, the reason I'm losing weight is because I have this tool that I have to be compliant with, or I feel sick. It holds me accountable to a certain way of eating... limiting portions, limiting certain types of foods... I don't feel like I am on a diet. I stop eating when I feel restriction. I take all my vitamins. I don't drink my calories. I have had a few treats. I eat some fruit and the occasional carb. I eat veg regularly.

But... this works because the tool works; and overall I follow the rules of surgery.

Yes to everything you said!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

lexxiblue
on 1/1/18 9:49 am
RNY on 01/11/12

Good for you Jelsey... for once i've read that someone finally gets it!! it's all about getting healthy.. not a miracle cure for losing weight.. we have to work on this forever... and make lifestyle changes! and i believe that happens with any weight loss program. They all work... we just have to work at it.. and when we stop.. that's when the weight gain happens. Following clinic guidelines and exercise will make a happier person!!

thanks for your great post!!!

good luck to you!!

Most Active