Oh so that's what dumping is!

RosieBelly
on 12/3/17 8:41 am

Well I thought I would throw a few edamame beans into my soup last night( I am 9 days out from surgery ) Oh the young and foolish, you more experienced roux en yers are probably thinking. Cue massive stomach cramps, cold sweats, and prayers from the bathroom. That lasted a couple of hours and then I gingerly put myself to bed thinking thank goodness that is over. I woke at about 7am and put together the ricotta cheese bake because the family was coming over for brunch when all of a sudden my gut clenched and EVERY single symptom of dumping occurred over the next couple of hours culminating in me having diarrhea (sorry) and vomiting simultaneously - well gagging anyways into the bathroom garbage can.

I am trying to drink as much water as possible but I have a few questions.

What and when should I eat?

Can we actually throw up or is that weird cat ball gagging normal?

Will this now be a regular occurance or can it be just a one off?

Wisdom please my experienced friends

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Kathy1212
on 12/3/17 9:28 am

Hi Rosie,

So sorry you experienced this. Does your plan allow solid foods like beans this early out? Mine didn't; I had to do full liquids for 2 weeks after surgery, then pureed food for 2 more weeks, then I was allowed to transition to soft foods (that could easily be mushed up with a fork) but my body still wasn't ready and I had a lot of pain and my surgeon put me back at the start again (2 more weeks of full liquids followed by 2 more weeks of purees).

I was told to be very careful early on as foods could do a lot of damage to the new pouch. It's so confusing the way the plans all seem to be very different.

If I were you, I'd stick to liquids (protein shakes) for the next day at the very least to give my pouch a chance to recover from the beans.

Don't forget, you just had major surgery and even though you may look and feel fine, your insides are still raw and healing.

Take care. Hope you feel better soon.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

RosieBelly
on 12/3/17 2:23 pm

Thank you for being so kind! No it was not on the plan and I have no idea what brainlessness took over so I have retreated and I have gone back to liquids and smooth purees. Talk about terrifying.

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

Kathy1212
on 12/3/17 2:31 pm

I sure hope you'll feel better. Follow your plan and if you are still in pain, give your center a call and let them know what happened.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/17 12:27 pm

I am so sorry Lady. I hope there are many words of wisdom. I hope you never see a day like that again and you are feeling much better.

Penny

RosieBelly
on 12/3/17 2:24 pm

Thanks RP.....literally on the bathroom floor praying for relief! Lesson learned.

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/17 4:46 pm

Sorry... yuk!

crqvingchange
on 12/3/17 7:54 pm

I'm afraid that wasn't dumping. Dumping usually occurs when you eat something that has too many carbs, especially simple carbs and it dumps directly into the intestine because we only have a small pouch and less intestine to buffer it. This can result in reactive hypoglycemia. Some people have also dumped on a high fat meal. Dumping usually will make you want to lie down, racing heart, foamies (our form of vomiting, we no longer have the capacity for projectile vomiting), cramping muscles, among other symptoms. Not pleasant.

I think that Kathy is right. Your new pouch was not ready for solid food yet, and edamame is very high in fibre. I would take it easy today and tomorrow and stick with fluids and slider foods like yogurt. You could try the soup again in a week, but run it through the blender first.

I'm sorry that you experienced this. Hugs.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

oneatatime
on 12/4/17 5:01 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Rosie,

Awww, that sounds awful. Be really careful with taking your diet slowly. It needs all the time to heal... and once it gets inflamed like yours now has, it needs extra time. Back to basics for a while before you move forward again.

Be very patient with your pouch and with yourself. Go SLOWLY with advancing your diet. Baby steps. It's like having a brand new tummy.

((Hugs)) Feel better.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Stephi3004
on 12/4/17 9:54 am - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Sorry you have had a rough patch :( . After surgery I have found that eating is a learning process and much trial and error.

I know we are all constantly getting different information and this will be no different.

I have read and been told that, yes, vomiting is a symptom of dumping. Secondly, after surgery many people still vomit, not just "foamies".

Whatever you decide to call it, I hope you're feeling better! Be easy on your new tummy for a while.

Referral- August 2016, Orientation Ottawa WMC- January 9/17, Nurse- March 2/17, Nutritionist & Behaviourist May 8/17- Approved, Pre-Surgery class May 15, Endoscopy- May 19/17, Meet Dr. Neville- May 29, Start Opti- June 14, Surgery- July 5

Most Active