Vitamins Post Surgery

SweetRide1
on 11/24/17 11:04 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Hi All,

I need to know how easy, or how difficult it is, to get all those vitamins down after surgery and how do you do it.

Are they crushed? Do you put them in something? If so, what?

Swallowing big pills is not easy for me and I struggle now trying to get them down and I haven't even had surgery yet.

I investigated patches but apparently they aren't really good.

I found melting vitamins this morning called BariMelts. Does anyone know anything about them?

What about liquid vitamins?

I'm a little stressed on the whole vitamin thing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA. Jill

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/17 11:21 am

In getting ready for surgery I purchased liquid D and B12 complex. I picked you chewable vitamin C. I also bought a pill crushers from shoppers for my prenatal pill. I also stocked up on sugar free apple sauce. A nurse during preop said I could put them in my shakes.

I also have three prescrption meds so will need to crush and bring to the hospital with me.

The patches seem a bit costly to mean but I hear mixed reviews on them.

This is a great question and I will be following to see what the pros say.

Penny

sunny2017
on 11/24/17 1:44 pm

Hi Penny, can you tell me what brand is the sugar free applesauce you stocked up on....I can only find

10 grams of sugar, that is the lowest I have been able to find

thanks Sandra

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/17 1:50 pm

They are...

Life Smart brand

I took they all out of the box package and purchased single serving size. When I see them in the store again I will take a picture of the box.

Penny

sunny2017
on 11/24/17 2:03 pm

thanks very much Penny, I will look for them this weekend as I believe that brand is at Metro

Sandra

rce884
on 11/24/17 12:36 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

I am 2.5 months out. And I will be frank with you I am having a great deal of trouble with my calcium vitamin d pills. To the point where I have not been taking them. I am going to invest in some liquid vitamins because you really have to take them and if I don't take them I am not doing myself any favours but the pills are super big. Once you are one month out you can't take the chewable pills anymore for anything but the b12 so I would suggest not wasting time with the calcium pills after one month out. Aim for the liquid.

As for the multi vitamins they (and my other meds I take in the morning) make my little old pouch full as soon as I take them so the NUT suggested I have some protein in the form of a shake before I take my pills so I don't have so long between food.

Hope this helps

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Starnaenae
on 11/24/17 2:02 pm

Ive had no issues at all with vitamis. Daily i take 2 prenatals, 6 calcium, 2 zinc, 2 iron pills,vit c, 2 colace and 8 pills for my ulcer. Its vital you take your vitamins and get your levels checked regularly as you do need to adjust here and there (this is all on the recommendations of the dietician after recent blood work)

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/17 3:04 pm

I have taken vitamins all my life--- but my sis has a swallowing issue... so I found liquid cal-mag, vit d drops, liquid omega 3 , liquid multis and liquid iron.

I go to WELL.CA most of my stuff is there. Great sales too.

T-MAC
on 11/29/17 7:20 am - Niagara Falls, on

I was wondering the same thing, I will be going for surgery soon and presently i take 4 calium with vit d, 2 vit d tablets, 2 multivitamins, and one b12 a day. the calcium and multi vitamins are big but I can swallow no problem. My question is after surgery what is the max size you can swallow at a time and how far in between can you eat or drink anything.

Most Active