Almost 3 weeks post op...I'm missing food

Lucile777
on 11/15/17 11:43 am

hi guys, I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I'm missing food. I'm learning to live my life without being so dependent on it but I'm not gonna lie- I would love a good veggie burger and fries with a Diet Coke! Argh! I'm kind of having buyers remorse. I wish I had just eaten this healthy my whole life and I wouldn't have to be in the position that I put myself in now. Yes woe is me. I know. Anyone else been through this? Boo!

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 12:31 pm

Very much yes. Then I got to 6 weeks when I could experiment more with food and found that everything makes me sick and the things I used to love now taste gross. I'm kind of nostalgic for those days when I missed food, actually.

But seriously, yes. I had buyers remorse early and often. It is normal, fairly common and I'm told it fades with time.

Tuktu
on 11/15/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

It will get better!! I often wish I could sit down with the junk and treats, but that is something in my past! Just find new things that you really enjoy and it won't seem so bad soon. I love fruit and popsicles and applesauce and just much happier now that I'm down 100 lbs - I don't really want to ever go back to the old habits so stick with it and hopefully things will get much better for you very soon!

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 3:28 pm

I am pre op and I think this everyday...why can't I just eat less and really healthy.... answer .. it seems I can't... that's why I need the surgery.... hope things get better for ya.

oneatatime
on 11/16/17 4:51 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I don't get it... what's the difference if you had eaten healthy all your life you'd still be missing all that stuff, vs missing it now?

Honestly, it's just a tool... lots of people go back to eating and drinking that crap. If you tell yourself you miss it, you are living in a "lack" or deprivation mindset. That sets you up for failure. You may want to look at your reasons for having this surgery.

You may seriously want to consider therapy too. I know in my practice I see with my clients people who have buyers remorse early on like this (in various aspects of their life... I sometimes refer to it as "grass is greener syndrome") is an indication of an unresolved underlying issue.

Good luck.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Ginnny
on 11/16/17 6:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I am afraid for you. At only three weeks out you are mourning food? Its just fuel. As someone has said, "why did you have this surgery?" Think about the reasons, make a list of everything you want to do. I'm 19 months out and have never regretted the decision....do I sometimes wish I could eat like other people? Sure sometimes, but most often I see they way they eat and think where are they putting all that food? I know I used to be just like them, but I had surgery because I wanted to be healthier - I've never lost sight of that.

Good luck to you.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kathy1212
on 11/16/17 8:47 am

Hi Lucille, and welcome to the loser's bench.

Don't beat yourself up; you just had major surgery and it can really affect us on many levels. Your hormones could be all over the place.

Buyer's remorse...I totally had it at first. I was in so much pain early on that it was almost unbearable, but it slowly got better.

I was lucky in that I had zero interest in food and no hunger at all so had to treat eating and drinking like a job, just to be able to get in the protein and water early on. But mentally, i missed my old friend, food. It had been my go to for so long; it was what I turned to when I was happy, sad, angry, depressed...any feeling, and it was my biggest source of comfort. So yeah, of course I missed it. But in reality it was false, fleeting comfort because it only ever felt good while I ate, and as soon as I was done I was overcome with feelings of sadness and shame and guilt. The biggest and first gift of surgery was the disappearance of that shame. You may not share the same experience with me, but the gifts of your surgery will appear soon, and you'll feel so much better. Just hang in there, and believe your life is going to change for the better, and soon.

Also, you'll be able to have a veggie burger again one day in the future, when you are in the eating for life stage. You'll probably choose to omit the bun by then, but it will still satisfy your craving.

Take care.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Lucile777
on 11/16/17 2:37 pm

Hi Kathy,

you totally understood what I posted. Everything you replied with totally resonated with me because we are more similar than different on this journey.

Kathy1212
on 11/16/17 5:18 pm

You're so welcome. You're going to do great, just wait and see :-).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Char8420
on 11/18/17 1:30 pm

I am only 10 days out and miss a few foods-eggs, cheese and fruit really. I now its a process but sometimes it seems like a long ways away until I can have these foods. I will stick to the required foods, and must say I really am not hungry. Trying to distract myself with reading, walking or just more fluids when I want these foods helps. One day I will have them and know that it will take a lot less to feel satisfied!! You are doing great and remorse is normal, as every article and person says.

Most Active