Pre op whole food

LeslieCL
on 11/10/17 8:23 am

I'm pre-op and still waiting for a surgery date and opti start. The Nutritionist did not like my food diary and was reluctant to approve me but she did. She told me I had to start eating 3 proper meals and 2 snacks a day. I know the reason for this as I will have to be sure I eat regularly after the surgery. I don't have much of an appetite due to medication. Despite no appetite, I am obese (go figure). It's because I would tend to eat what I wanted (chocolate, bread, pasta) rather than when I was hungry.

When I started this journey, I started to eat better food when I was hungry and less of what I wanted. Over past 9 months, I have lost about 12 pounds, not a lot, but not gaining. As soon as I started to eat as suggested, and the quantities as suggested, I gained 3 pounds in a week and I know it's the rice, pasta etc. I can't have it even in the proper measured quantities. I went back to eating better food when I was hungry and I'm almost back to where I was.

Anyway, long story just to say, we don't all fit in the same mould.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/17 6:01 pm

We are creatures of habit. I had to set alarms on my phone to remember to sit at a table and eat a balanced meal. I also made all my lunches on the weekend and packed them up for work. I would say breakfast was the hardest for me because I am never hungry then. So what I did was buy yogurts and bagels. I would eat them in the first hour of work.

Bottom line was I spent a hour or two on weekend planning for the workweek.

I do not know if that will help but I know you can do it. You are also correct. We are all different. Take bits and pieces from make people and make something of your own.

You got thins! Penny

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/17 2:44 pm

Years ago I had to change my lifestyle due to an illness... 3 meals 1 snack.. It has been 4 years now and my hunger actually is on a timer. You get used to it and your body gets used to it and then it's kind of an a no-brainer. It was hard at first because I never ate breakfast and pretty much just graze all day long but now it's set in. Good luck!

Kathy1212
on 11/12/17 9:17 am

Congrats on getting approved, and on losing 12 Lbs. I find the nutritionists like to tell us to eat carbs, which actually sabotages many of us. I now just nod and pretend like I agree and basically do my own thing, lol. I have to keep my carbs below 50 grams total, and often below 30 grams or I just don't lose. I envy people who can eat carbs and lose, as I do like them.

I almost wasn't approved because I didn't buy a toddler plate, the one with the segmented areas. The nutritionist and nurse thought it meant I wouldn't comply but it just meant that I thought those plates are ridiculous. I finally bought one to get them off my back, but I've never once used it. I use a little round glass bowl that cannot fit more than 1 cup of food. I'm not allowed more than 1 cup of food at one time so it's perfect. It also fits perfectly on my mug warmer and keeps my food hot until I'm done eating.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active