I think I'm a big chicken

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/17 5:04 pm

Your not the only one who second guesses.

For me, I remind myself of the thing I want to do more then I want food. Be comfortable on a airplane, ride a rollercoaster, go on the beach with my family, keep up with my thinner friends when we go shopping, avoid using a cane in 5 years because my knees hurt so much and so many more things in life I feel I am missing.

Most of all I want my health to be with my family.

You are much stronger then you think.

Penny

gbears
on 11/6/17 5:32 pm

Only thing I would add/modify is to take someone that is actually supportive of the journey. If you are unsure or having doubts, a friend or family member that is not supportive will use anything that might worry you to convince you not to do it.

If you ask anyone that utilizes the tool properly, the only thing they regret is not doing it sooner. The orientation is going to tell you the truth, they do not sugar coat the risks, or that it is not a miracle and hard work on your part is required. Try not to let these discourage you as this is a case of ALL of the pros greatly outweigh ALL of the cons!

You noted you feel like you are chickening out then you try to walk up the stairs and remember why you are doing it. Keep a list of those reminders and carry it with you. If you kid yourself questioning yourself through the process just take them out to read them.

Remember that if you have ANY questions just ask here. I know I have asked a lot of silly questions and everyone here has been great with providing information and support.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

SweetRide1
on 11/6/17 5:32 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I was excited to go to Orientation. I freaked out when I got home. I was soooo overwhelmed that's when I started second guessing.

I'm still here. More committed than ever. I meet the surgeon in 2 weeks and I know it's the right thing for me.

You will never know if you don't go. If it's not for you, then walk away. Give it a shot. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Linda M.
on 11/7/17 6:24 am - Orillia, Canada

Good morning Gramma,

In reading all of the replies, it would appear that a bunch of virtual hugs are being sent your way. The orientation is the first step, then you continue on your journey meeting caring healthcare professionals who know their stuff. They are there to help us and prepare us so that we can be successful. No judging and you will see as different as we are, we also share many similarities - fear and anxiety, unfortunately, among them.

When my doctor suggested this to me, he backed up his chair. I jokingly moved in closer and said, "Do you think I'm going to hit you?". We both laughed. He suggested because he cared. If he was to give me a prescription, it is because he cares - not because he is judging me as being bad because I have an ailment or condition.

We are your cheerleaders, supporters, and provide encouragement and the odd "kick in the butt". Your healthcare team will provide you with the actual tools and plan to be successful. It is a process and you will learn and with that, comes confidence.

It's all good. Wishing you all the best and here comes that hug ...

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Kathy1212
on 11/7/17 6:55 am

I had to promise myself I could back out at any time in order to go through pre op, and surgery itself. I was still telling myself I could quit at any time when I woke up from surgery, lol; oops, it was too late then.

I'm down 124 Lbs in 9 months and not done yet. I wouldn't change this for anything and am so glad I didn't quit.

You can quit at any time though. It's totally in your control.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

rce884
on 11/8/17 11:35 am
RNY on 09/05/17

I can't add much to what has been said, wisdom in droves, but i can tell you a funny story from my orientation.

i took my mum. who loves me bunches and is very supportive.

we got to the orientation at TWH and we got in the room and my mom kept figiting before it started. i should preface by saying we were UBER early as we always are. no thanks to her but i like being early so people were coming in and taking a seat. finally my mom says, quite loudly,

"wow these seats are so big and comfy i wonder why?" i was like, mom, most of the people here are plus size they need plus size chairs.

my mom turned fourteen shades of red and nearly died of embarrassment. she is a smallish person and many people at the orientation heard her and gave her dirty looks. i laughed at it. you have to laugh she didnt mean anything by it it just was not something she thought about.

so bring someone that can make you laugh, and if you dont take notes bring someone who does. you get a lot of information at this thing. it is good to have access after word

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

GrammaT
on 11/9/17 1:55 pm

Omg that's a good story ... your poor mom.i would have giggled if I were there . Even skinny people hate skinny chairs! Lol

leeann73
on 11/8/17 6:19 pm

I agree with everything everyone has said. I think we have "fat brain" and "healthy brain". Fat brain is scared and doesn't want to lose the fun or comfort of food. It is scary. But it is liberating. You have nothing to lose by going. You can say no at any time. Give yourself a chance. You deserve it.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

GrammaT
on 11/9/17 1:59 pm

Thank you and your right I do have fat brain lol I also sometimes don't realize how big I am , And end up taking someone out with my big butt lol the support on the forum is incredible and I'm so glad I joined

Loril1963
on 11/9/17 12:47 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

Go check it out, it's only orientation at this point. Can't hurt. I made the mistake of starting the process then chickened out. Two years later I wanted to start again, it was so hard. I had to jump through hoops to restart. Good luck

Most Active