Should I gain weight in order to get ohip surgery?

gbears
on 10/14/17 7:04 pm

I agree with the previous comment. Try out the medical program with the Opti.

What you put your body through with the surgery is a lot (that most of us would do again if we had to) BUT gaining 50lbs is worse. I would also be hesitant that they would approve you if you did opt to voluntarily gain that much weight.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

oneatatime
on 10/14/17 8:06 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I totally understand the stuggle of losing and regaining weight and repeating that pattern over a lifetime. I think most of us here do. The alarm I think for most people responding to your post is the choice to intentionally gain weight to qualify for a surgery you don't know if you qualify for anyway.

The criteria for approval is very rigid. Also, the surgery is very invasive and difficult and not a miracle cure by any means.

One thing many of us do is attend therapy, to work through weight and non-weight related issues that can affect weight. Even after surgery, the cravings, head hunger, emotional issues and life problems and struggles that got us here will still be there if we don't address them. For someone with a lower BMI, maybe it's enough to help shed the weight for good, or maybe it's a route to finding the answer you need if you should gain the weight for surgery.

I wish you good luck and good health.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

rationalthinker1
on 10/16/17 7:37 pm

I've talked to them and told them about my situation. They said that they can prescribe me Saxenda, which is a weight-loss pill. I got the prescription and went to buy it and then I realized that it's not covered with my insurance and it would cost $175 per month for the pills. F**k that.

oneatatime
on 10/16/17 8:06 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Yeah, that's a lot of money. It really is too bad more weight loss drugs aren't covered.

Post surgery, there are a lot of vitamin costs and they aren't covered, so that's a consideration as well. I wish they were: they are medically necessary for post op WLS patients for life, and will add up to a huge amount of money... but they are an out of pocket expense I knew I would have to spend.

Good luck.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/17 9:21 pm, edited 10/14/17 2:22 pm

I understand your rationale but I agree with OAAT .. therapy and maybe some further medical tests may help.. a dietician ... maybe as well. This is a last resort.. a huge operation that if I didnt absolutely need I would not have. Someone mentioned the Opti alone.. that can shed weight but... keeping it off that?s what I think is your concern so yeah.. therapy.. dietician ... I hope you find your answer.

Amy R.
on 10/15/17 10:42 am

Hi rationalthinker1,

I don't often end up on the Ontario Forum since I am in the states. And I'm still not sure how I got here this morning, so please take what I have to say with a grain or two of salt.

Down here, what you're inquiring about can be construed as insurance fraud. I say this NOT because I am trying to discourage, but out of a concern that you may end up dealing with a lot more than 15 (or 50) extra pounds. Additionally I know your "insurance" there and probably it's requirements too looks way different than mine. So although I bring this up I also realize it may in reality be a non-issue up there.

On top of that - while I don't regret my surgery for a minute and would gladly do it again - it is a very serious deal. Had I been anywhere near a "normal" or even "overweight" BMI, I would have attempted to handle it without surgery. (at 347 pounds my BMI was 52.8).

Having said that though, I know there were times pre-op when I lost in excess of a 100 pounds, just to gain it all back. So believe me I know your pain. You are in a bind and most of us can definitely understand that. Just some random thoughts from where I sit. Either way I hope you find your path.

Kathy1212
on 10/15/17 10:54 am

Hi, if I were you, I'd try the Optifast program first. You can easily lose 20 Lbs on Opti, which will bring you back to 180, and once there, can keep going and lose more.

Gaining 50 Lbs on purpose can do so much damage to your health, and it will bring on habits that will be very hard to break.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Don't give up. Take a break if needed, but then start over again.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

crqvingchange
on 10/15/17 11:35 am

You are feeling desperate, and putting on 50lbs will not help you in the long run.

The surgery doesn't fix your brain, just your stomach. It gives you a jump start to weight loss, but you need to change your life style or the surgery won't work long term. Most people here will tell you that at 3 years post-op your stomach stretches you can eat like a normal person. Maintenance is a ***** Plus with surgery you are looking at a lifetime of vitamin supplement, possible dumping, and also the risks of having surgery.

Adding 50lbs is only going to stretch out your skin more (another problem to deal with after weight loss). You already have done well. Take the next logical or in your case rational step and try the Opti diet. It like surgery is not a long term fix, only working on the mental parts will give you long term success. Seeking counselling and a support group, coming here and being accountable, will help you deal with the mental aspect of this very real struggle. Track your food and exercise on MFP. Join the WAYE thread for support and accountability.

Wishing you success and renewed commitment to meeting your goal.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Amy R.
on 10/15/17 11:55 am, edited 10/15/17 4:55 am

Just realizing I missed an important part of your post OP.

It looks like you will need a co-morbidity? So even if you were to hypothetically gain the weight would you also need to hope for a co-morbidity? Or do you already have one/some?

As scary as it is to address even the added pounds issue, the co-morbidity aspect is alarming. I am assuming (hoping) I am reading this incorrectly. Nobody who has co-morbidities that I know of would have intentionally pursued one.

Please tread carefully. This is your body we're talking about here, and we only get one.

Queen JB
on 10/16/17 2:42 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Trying to gain significant weight & a co-morbidity is dangerous and shows a real reckless disregard for your health. What if you gain the weight but don't qualify? What if the co-morbidity makes you very ill and does not get better? We all had surgery to get rid of these illnesses.

I really get the urge to want to do anything to lose weight. I truly sympathize! But gaining to lose is not the right move.

What have you tried to get down to 180 again? Have you tried following a post-op diet? Most of us are successful with a very high protein, low carb program.

I wish you luck, but please don't do anything dangerous to reach your goal.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active