Help / Advice / Support

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/17 11:34 pm

Hello Skimster! I understand your fears. I am a little ahead of you and I am just waiting on a call for the date.

I battle this everyday but what helps me remember at 44, I am doing this for a better quality and longer life with my family.

If I do nothing the nothing changes. If I do it and I struggle, then I can say I gave it my all.

I do not have the experience like some here but I have to keep pushing and trying. I want to have the peace of mind that I did my best.

I hope that helps with your thoughts.

Also, welcome!

SKimster
on 10/13/17 5:32 am
VSG on 05/22/18

THANK YOU Roundpenny for the reply!!! I really appreciate it!

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Wayne H.
on 10/12/17 11:55 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I was nervous as well and I also had tried many things over my life to keep the weight off. I finally got to a point where the Back Pain, Knee Pain and mobility issues were starting to depress me in terms of not feeling good as a person and the position I was in.

Having the surgery has been the "BEST DECISION I HAVE MADE". Many areas of my life are so much better now in just a short time. My health has done a 180, I'm off the Metformin and many of the meds I had been taking. I can Run, Bike, Walk, Kayak, Work around the house...all without Ceasing up when I sat down.

It's so invigorating to be alive again. If there are complications down the road, I'll deal with it then. For now.. I am alive and very grateful to have this tool provided to me.

You will make the right decision for you!! At the end of the day, just remember it's about you, for you and only for you.

SKimster
on 10/13/17 5:31 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Thank you Wayne for your reply! I so look forward to no meds if possible and being able to Kayak with my husband! I've wanted to do that for the past 3 years and have felt that I just wasn't small enough or in good enough shape to be able to do that. THANK YOU again!!!

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

catwoman7
on 10/13/17 5:08 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I had a lot of those same fears and held off on surgery for years because of them. I finally came to the realization that I had no other choice, or I would be facing an early death.

there are risks with any surgery. People have died having their tonsils out. But like tonsillectomies, these have become very safe surgeries. These are not the same as they were 30 years ago. Complication rates are low, and most complications, when they occur, are minor.

I didn't have any problems at all, and recovery was surprisingly easy. I didn't mind the food changes because I was ready, and because for the first few months, I lost my hunger and my interest in food. It does get harder once those come back, but again, I was ready.

I would do this again in a heartbeat. In fact, I would do it every year if I had to. It gave me my life back.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

SKimster
on 10/13/17 5:29 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Thank you for your reply catwoman7! The detailed reponses have honestly been overwhelmingly kind! I absolutely love to see stories like yours. Your weight loss to date is incredible! THANK YOU again!

Kimmy in Canada

Linda M.
on 10/13/17 6:29 am - Orillia, Canada

Welcome.

I went through the TWH program but had my surgery in Guelph. I did have some complications and ended up having two surgeries. That being said, I would do nothing differently. I embraced the program, became active on this site, did my own research and asked a lot of questions. I received encouragement, support and good information from both my healthcare team and members who are further out. I was like you: prediabetic, high blood pressure, some joint pain, weighed 268 and was moving upwards - not downwards as exercise was getting difficult and I was becoming overwhelmed.

I wasn't nervous as I knew the doctor was experienced and skilled. Even when I knew I was going back in, I knew I was in the best place and he and his team "had this". A bit of a set back, but that's all it was. For most of us, it's clear sailing.

Education, commitment, support - all important in your journey. By going through the process you are able to start the change. After each appointment I felt lighter and knew this was the course for me. I'm soooooooooo glad I did.

Explore the possibilities, go to your appointments, write in a journal - food choices, exercise and how you are feeling. If it doesn't feel right, stop. You have nothing to lose - other than your excess weight.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/17 7:52 am, edited 10/13/17 12:52 am

Hey SKimster- me again.. After reading all the responses I started thinking about somethings.

I went through this twice 10 years ago and eight years ago and so I know what it?s like to have doubts. Am I glad I waited well yes and no. I do know now that I can?t do it myself. And I also know that I?m ready to put in a commitment which are the two things that I believe are very important in making this decision. Is it scary? You bet are you kidding I am researching everything that can go wrong . However there is a great deal they can go right to and the part that sways me is the part that lets me live a full life again I believe that outweighs everything excuse the pun ;)

Kathy1212
on 10/13/17 8:03 am

Hi, and welcome!

I was quite a bit heavier than you when I started this journey. At 304 Lbs, I could barely move, my severe/chronic asthma was out of control and crippling, and my entire body hurt all the time. I was depressed and anxious and felt hopeless.

I was terrified to have surgery so I basically brain washed myself into really wanting it by coming here every day, and also by watching Youtubers document their weight loss surgery journeys. I did this for hours every day (while eating Christmas cookies last December, lol).

Now, at 8.5 months post op, I'm 119 Lbs down. At 185 I'm still considered obese, but not morbidly obese, or super morbidly obese, as I was. I only need to lose 10.5 more Lbs to get into the overweight category, and am 41 Lbs away from my goal weight.

Even though I'm still on the journey, I've already seen an amazing change in my body and mind. I'm half the size that I used to be...when I started, my size 24W pants were too tight to wear. Now I wear size 12. I was in a size 4-5X top, and now wear size Medium-Large tops, depending on the style.

I couldn't walk for 10 minutes without needing my rescue inhaler and being in crazy pain, and now I can hike nature trails for hours. I rode my bike over 350 km this summer, including an overnight bike camping trip. I can swim laps for two hours without stopping (but normally do 1 hour because I get all pruney otherwise, lol).

I feel years younger. The surgery has given me my life back. From the minute I started optifast and didn't cheat, I lost the sense of shame and failure I carried for so long and it hasn't come back. I'm no longer depressed, and actually feel great.

I was able to go off most of my asthma meds. I still carry ventolin with me just in case, but no longer need Advair, Singulaire, and the many other asthma meds. I was able to go off the blood pressure meds. I no longer need Tylenol 3 every day for pain. My fibromyalgia has gotten much better.

I did have some complications. I had a lot of pain, more than I expected, due to inflammation. I had to do an extra month of the full liquid/pureed diet because of the inflammation. It was really no big deal and I wouldn't change anything.

This surgery has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. Only you can decide if it's the right thing for you. Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

SKimster
on 10/13/17 8:47 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Thank you Kathy! I really appreciate your story! It really encourages me to continue on. I so look forward to be able to swim longer then 4 laps, do hikes and kyaking.

Kimmy in Canada

Most Active