2 Week Update

Green_limes
on 9/30/17 3:24 pm - Canada

It's been 2 weeks since surgery and I'm finally starting to feel like myself. The first week was rough. I've had a hard time with liquids but each day gets better. For some reason I can't drink plain water anymore. Not sure why bu****er on its own feels like I'm seallowing a pill unless I put something with flavour in it. I never used to be like this.

I thought (hoped) that I would be one of those people that stopped having cravings post surgery. That is unfortunately not the case. I'm craving salty snacks. Difference now is that although there is an open bag of Doritos and a large box of Halloween chips in the house, I don't feel the compulsion to eat them.

Never thought I'd say this but...Counting down to puree's! Can't wait to get a bit of texture in my mouth

northernga1
on 9/30/17 4:42 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

craving salty is likely because you are dehydrated at this point or slightly. Drink lots and those cravings will go away. I cannot drink plain water either it feels so weird and all i drank for years was water, i have to add sugar free water enhancers like crystal light or mio etc.. I also did diet ocean spray juice i would mix 50-75% water and 25-50% juice and thats how i got my water in the first 7 months or so. Now i can sometimes drink water but it has to be room temp if i drink it cold it feels like i swallowed a brick.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Green_limes
on 9/30/17 5:31 pm - Canada

Glad to know the water thing is not just me :o) I'll try to bump up the fluids to get rid of my salt cravings.

oneatatime
on 9/30/17 6:22 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Puréed should be just around the corner. Hang in there!!

The salt thing might also be because you have been getting a lot of sweet... with shakes, water enhancers... I don't know if you are getting salt through soups, etc. Maybe your body actually needs some salt and that's why it's craving it?

Increasing hydration is always a good thing. It may be a good idea to look at your diet and consider what you might need (or have a professional look at it).

:)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kathy1212
on 10/1/17 8:01 am

I'm so glad to hear that things are getting better for you. That's great.

I go through stages where I can't drink plain water either; I need Crystal Lite, etc., added to it, then suddenly I can't stand the flavoured water and can only drink it plain again. I have no idea why it changes, lol, but it keeps flip flopping on me.

If you buy premade chicken or beef broth, it's pretty salty and can help with your cravings for salt. I made my own broth so I could control my sodium intake, but still added a bit of salt when needed.

Purees are a nice change from the liquid diet; you'll get there soon.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active