Losing weight before pre-op diet

Tigress29
on 9/24/17 9:11 am

I was wondering if people went on a high protein diet before the pre-op requirements?

I am trying to lose weight with a high protein diet of about 1400 calories a day. I suspect that I will lose weight but so far no dice. I have not completely eliminated carbs.

I just wanted to know if I am the only person that tried this before hand or if I should even be bothered?

My friends and family think I should be enjoying the food that I like (which made me a candidate for the surgery) because after the surgery those foods will be a part of my past.

Any suggestions/comments or advice would be appreciated. I am so confused. Eat and enjoy or try to start making changes now before hand?

Referral October 2015, TWH Orientation December 7 2015, Nurse & Social Worker Feb 25 2016, Nutrition Class Apr 11 2016, Psychiatrist Apr 13 2016, Surgery Feb 14 2017, Surgery Postponed Jan 29 2017, Psychiatrist Oct 5 2017, Nurse Oct 25 2017, Meet the Surgeon Feb 2 2018, Revision Surgery Date April 10 2018

HW 336

rce884
on 9/24/17 9:19 am
RNY on 09/05/17

I think doing some culling pre surgery is a good idea. For example I got rid of pop and sugar and caffeine pre surgery but you don't I think have to lose a ton of weight pre surgery you are going to lose after. If you follow the diet post surgery. That's why I tried to cut out some of the things.

I think you you still have time to reasonably enjoy the foods you like but try to be prepared at the same time. It's a fine line

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Tigress29
on 9/24/17 9:41 am

I agree that it is going to be a very fine line. I want to do the right thing but I don't want to discourage myself. I am an all or nothing kind of person so it makes it really hard.

I never thought to give up caffeine. Maybe I should try small things rather than everything at once.

Thanks for your input.

MsAlamode
on 9/26/17 6:33 am

I'm a victim of my own all-or-nothing mentality too, which is a lot of the reason why I'm at the weight I am. I know that fixing it is going to be incredibly important to my long-term success with the surgery, so while I'm waiting for my pre-op appointments I'm trying to focus on just fixing that. Instead of trying to be perfect with my eating, I created a list of the habits/behaviours that will help me post-op and am trying to incorporate one habit each week. For example, replacing diet coke with water, going for a walk every evening, tracking my food (not limiting yet, just tracking), weighing my food to determine portion sizes, etc etc. I haven't implemented them all yet, and I'm forcing myself to only add one at a time (which is pretty hard for me). I've learned from my yo-yo past that I can make the food changes no problem - it's the behaviour changes that I struggle with the most and that I need the most practice with.

Humber River Hospital with Dr. Huynh

Referral May 2016; Orientation Aug 2016; Dr. Huynh Sept 7, 2017; Dr Glazer Nov 21, 2017; RN/RD/SW Nov 22, 2017; Pre-Op Dec 21, 2017; Surgery Jan 12, 2018

Caff
on 9/24/17 9:30 am, edited 9/24/17 2:32 am

You're doing the right thing. WLS is a huge lifestyle change and your new habits are more likely to stick the longer you put them in practice. I expect there will be so many new things to cope with post-op that I am doing myself a favour to get my head in the game now.

It also makes sense to get down as far as you can now when you're bigger and the weight comes off more easily.

I recall my nurse quoting a statistic to me that those who engage in food funerals are less likely to be successful after surgery. That said, there were times when I allowed myself to enjoy a few things as I knew it was likely the last time for a very long while.

I lost 15 lbs over 3 months, and I was happy with that.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

SweetRide1
on 9/24/17 2:04 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I did it.

I started making changes and eating the way we need to eat to be successful. I've lost 38 lbs as of this morning. I had my second nutrition appt a week ago and it was happily noted that I had made changes. In fact, my nutritionist was the last person who needed to sign off on me moving forward. I am moving forward.

If you don't do it now, it will be sooooo hard after surgery.

My nutritionist put me on a 1600 calorie a day plan low carb, (not NO CARB), low fat, high protein. She set my macros and I follow it. I don't feel deprived and we work on the 80/20 rule. 80 % follow the plan, 20 % have what you like or need.

Habits need to be broken and new habits need to be created. Do it now, not later.

My 2 cents. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Tigress29
on 9/24/17 2:45 pm

You are doing exactly what I want to be doing. I want to make the changes now instead of having to do it all after surgery.

Congrats on losing so much weight so far! That's so awesome!

You have given me so much to work with. I have not seen my nutritionist in over a year.

Was it really hard? I'm finding it pretty easy this time but I am still in the "honeymoon" phase. I feel good eating this way and I am fairly confident that I will lose weight.

I recently was able to get through the grocery store without buying any junk... little victories I guess.

Thank you for replying!

SweetRide1
on 9/24/17 4:11 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I keep my carbs lower than the macro I was given. I find that keeping carbs low really cut down on all the cravings. I can walk through a bakery and NOT CARE. I can pass up chips. I am full and content.

There are days when it's hard and I think we are always going to have those days but I stopped killing myself over blips in the program. I don't feel guilty. I have my treat and move on. Get right back on plan and don't binge. This is the 20%.

True story. I went to a buffet restaurant for a relative's birthday. I gave myself some slack. I ate more than I should have and had dessert. I bloated, felt sick and regretted it terribly. I can't eat that kind of food anymore. It took me a week to feel good again. I learned my lesson.

So it's back on plan and I plan for as much as I can. I log, I prepare food in advance, I am working hard at it. This is a full time job. But it's working and I am so grateful.

Hopefully by the time I get surgery, all these habits will be ingrained and I can move forward with ease.

Why wait? It doesn't make sense to me. Do it now and feel better now. Good Luck!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Dee321ca
on 9/24/17 5:15 pm

I've been making slow, permanent changes since June. Upping protein, trying shakes for breakfast, cutting out caffeine and carbonated beverages and trying to avoid desserts/carbs as much as possible. Not counting calories or anything though and not being crazy strict at this point but I have noticed I'm down 15 lbs by just doing that. Figured that I might as well set myself up for success now than just assume it will all magically happen afterward. Keep doing what you're doing.

Lina_Ann
on 9/24/17 9:26 pm

I'm a couple months pre-op and my dietitan put me on a high protein diet, low sugar and carb...so I'm going to say yes, it's a good idea! :)

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Most Active