Any night shift workers?

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 1:06 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

So, I work 11pm-7am, full-time.

I usually eat with the family at 5 ish but then not again until 2 or 3 am. I often nap again in the evening. Sometimes I eat when I get home in the morning before taking the kids to school.

I know I should be eating more regularly but just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Any recommendations on when I should be eating?

Thanks,

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 1:26 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Treat your uptime like a day. Sounds like you're up and eating at 5ish...so that would be "breakfast"...and then try to go from there in terms of spacing and meals/snacks.

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 4:30 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Yeah, I've thought of that but I'm usually back in bed by 7-10. I don't get a lot of sleep during the day as I get into bed about 9 and am up before 3. And 6 hours of sleep during the day is not like getting 6 hours at night.

I know I'll have to figure something out. Just trying to get into a good routine before surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 1:31 pm

I can totally feel your pain.. I had to do that many years ago... and I put on weight.. hope you find a good routine .. :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 4:34 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Yep, it isn't easy. I'm just hoping to find a good routine I can start to incorporate now before surgery. I did ask that question on my food log so hoping the dietitian has some insight when I have my appointment. I had to mail my paperwork all in as I'm doing telehealth. On the other hand I don't want to be held up by this either so if I can find a solution prior to that appointment it would be ideal. TWH is slow enough without my slowing the process down anymore.

Lina_Ann
on 9/18/17 4:26 pm

My dietitan says you should be eating every 2 to 4 hours. If it's hard to find time to eat, try bringing food that's easy to pack and bring around with you, like a protein bar.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 4:35 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

That's good advice. Guess it'll be just a matter of figuring out what food goes where and when.

Lina_Ann
on 9/18/17 5:15 pm

Check out what other people are eating on the "what's on your menu today" forum threads on here. A lot of people have full time jobs and have to eat a lot of things on the go. Tons of ideas if you scroll through it :)

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Most Active