Telling my boss and other people

MsAlamode
on 9/18/17 1:06 pm

After a lot of hemming and hawing over what to do, I finally decided to tell my boss about the surgery and about the pre-op appointments I'll be attending over the next few months. I know I didn't have to tell her, but she gets really worried if I take too many sick/personal days so I decided that it was just easier to give her a heads up. She was SO super supportive about the whole thing! She even told me not to worry about taking official time off for the appointments and that she'll work with me to make sure that I can take advantage of any cancellations that may allow me to move the surgery up. She seemed touched that I confided in her, and that she's proud of me for taking charge of my health. I'm really glad I did it, what a relief to know she's behind me 100%. It's making me re-think my code of silence in regards to telling other people in my life too; maybe I need to give them a chance to be supportive instead of just assuming they'll give me a hard time. Did you guys disclose to your supervisors before your surgeries? Did you find most people in your life to be supportive?

Humber River Hospital with Dr. Huynh

Referral May 2016; Orientation Aug 2016; Dr. Huynh Sept 7, 2017; Dr Glazer Nov 21, 2017; RN/RD/SW Nov 22, 2017; Pre-Op Dec 21, 2017; Surgery Jan 12, 2018

Tuktu
on 9/18/17 1:20 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I'm so happy for you that your boss was so supportive! How wonderful. That will make things so much smoother for you.

Its a personal choice if you wish to disclose your surgery or not. I was pretty open with almost everyone in my life including my bosses who were amazing. I would test the waters with one or two people you feel close to. Its unpredictable how it will go. Most people are very supportive, but I've had a few friends fall off to the wayside. I think my losing weight made them feel bad about not being more active and they felt guilty eating in front of me. But I am pretty happy overall with the support from family and friends. The ones who aren't supportive now were never really good friends when I look back.

Starnaenae
on 9/18/17 1:21 pm

Ive been very open about my surgery since orientation. Its been a hard process (only 9 months out and am 6 months pregnant). I have my health and life back and feel AMAZING. Down 120 lbs and like i said im pregnant which is a miracle as i was always told this would be impossible.

People will have their opinions but i would EDUCATE them about the process and the procedure. I sent my closest friends and my mom a digital copy of the manual so they knew what was happening what i was allowed what dumping is etc. If people arent supportive you dont need them in your life - period

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

MsAlamode
on 9/18/17 1:38 pm

That's very true about the education part, I'm the only person I know who has gone through the process and I think there's a lot of misinformation out there - I certainly had a lot to learn! And you're right about not needing people who aren't supportive in my life.

Congrats on the pregnancy and the weight loss!

Referral May 2016; Orientation Aug 2016; Dr. Huynh Sept 7, 2017; Dr Glazer Nov 21, 2017; RN/RD/SW Nov 22, 2017; Pre-Op Dec 21, 2017; Surgery Jan 12, 2018

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 1:23 pm - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

I work in a very close department at work. Most of my coworkers knew, but no one said anything to management until I did out of respect. Once I told my manager though, both our director and vp knew (and both were incredibly supportive), they were also so helpful in finding contacts in the business who were willing to discuss their experiences with wls with me.

Family wise, my mom, my sister and step dad know for sure. Anyone else I'm not sure, but honestly, in my example it doesn't matter...for others it may.

SweetRide1
on 9/18/17 1:26 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I started out slow. I discussed with Hubby and kinda got the vibe that he wasn't really on board so this was my first negative. Yikes...the first person I told and it didn't go over well. I finally won him over and now he's my greatest supporter.

I told work next because I had to. I needed to be up front. I got a lot of questions but the support was there. No worries.

I slowly started telling people and got various reactions from elation to horror. I got it all. I even got people who tried to talk me out of it and continue to try.

Overall, support has been great. I tell everyone now and it's not a secret. I'm eating differently, losing weight and people ask so I tell them.

Be prepared for all kinds of reactions! On the whole, it's all been good.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

MsAlamode
on 9/18/17 1:33 pm

I had the same experience with my mom. She came with me to the orientation and at the break tried to get me to leave because "obviously I wasn't doing something that crazy." But she came around eventually and now she's even more anxious for me to get a surgery date than I am lol.

I'm glad to hear that your experience has been positive overall, thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/17 1:35 pm

Congrats and very happy for you..

I pretty much told my close friends and family. I am the boss ;)

Jules2177
on 9/18/17 3:50 pm

I told my boss about it, as I felt she would supportive and she has been a great cheerleader for me. My colleagues are nurses and dietitians so I didn't tell them for fear of judgement... until this week when the plan was made and last minute decided I was letting them know I was going off for this surgery. Surprisingly I received a lot of praise for doing what I feel is best for my health. I had people emailing me healthy soup recipes etc. I hope you continue to have positive feedback ? Sincerely, Julie

Jules2177
on 9/18/17 5:13 pm

weird - that question mark was a flower emoji when I typed from my iphone :)

Most Active