6 Months Post Op

Manda32
on 9/16/17 1:40 pm

I had my VSG surgery on March 15 of this year in Guelph. I can't believe I am six months post op already!

I have lost 115 lbs overall since I started this journey, and 99lbs since the start of Opti.

I've had all my post op appointments, and I am glad they are done lol My doctor at my center was happy with my weight loss. He said I've lost what most people lose in a year. I have to take that with a grain of salt (even though its nice to hear), everyone has different starting weights, and age/genetics are going to be a factor in how you may lose. Regardless, I am very appreciative that I have been a faster than average loser. I do expect, and have been told to expect it to slow down now that I've reached six months. My lab work was good for the most part. My iron has gone down since last check up which is good, but I'm deficient in Vitamin A, which now I have to take a Vitamin A pill which isn't a big deal. Other than that, my labs were great.

When I met with the dietitian she said average weight loss from 6 to 12 months post op is 15-20lbs. I said I didn't accept that! Granted I really think starting weight is a factor at surgery, and how much you still have to lose at the six months mark. I have 83lbs max left to lose.

I had put a goal weight of 150lbs, but I haven't been under 200lbs in my adult life, so I have no idea if I'll be okay at a weight which might be a bit higher than 150. My center has me at 160 for their lowest weight, and that's what the Surgeon in Guelph said. He also said I would have regain and put me in the 180s. I think that puts me at a 80 percent excess weight loss...so maybe that's how the surgeon is calculating. I still believe at the end of the day we control the end result, but I know the closer to goal the harder it will be come. Either way, my end goal maybe revised, I'm not stuck to that number, it will be more how I feel physically, and how I feel about the way I look.

I wanted to touch on a post that I read recently by a fellow member, about surgery still being a risk.

I know when I have post about my updates, I try to be honest, and just share my experience. And I believe that we all do that, but I do think sometimes, people may not want to share fully, bad experiences, or complications because of not wanting to scare off people from surgery (that may not be the only reason). I get that too, I may have down played how bad the first month emotionally was for me too.

I know a lot of updates end up being very positive and inspiring, but I just want to add, that although most of us, may not have serious or non serious complications, it does happen. Also how we recover from surgery is very individual. Some seem to do very well, no pain pills, can go out shopping a day or two after having surgery done; however than there are others who have pain (like me) that you need pain pills. Also, that you have barely no energy and you don't feel up for doing things right away. You never know where you will fall in this, and yes, the 1 or 2 percent rate of complications is low, but it can happen.

My goal here isn't to scare people into not having surgery, but it also isn't about making this surgery seem like its a piece of cake either, its about being realistic in making your decision to do surgery. You need to do your research, and listen to your health care team, and make a decision that is right for you both physically and mentally.

Having said that, I have had no complications. My recovery was okay, I needed help with the gas pains for about a week, pain pill wise, but otherwise having low energy/tired and a bit sore at the incision sites was somewhat expected. Your body just went through major trauma having surgery. I feel my recovery was probably about average.

I have luckily had no food intolerances, no dumping (usually doesn't happen with VSG). I have had no gastric relux/gerd, which can develop with a VSG. Drinking water after a few days felt back to normal for me, but I did find I would feel so full of water, that I had troubles getting the minimum of six glasses of water for a few months. The first month I was probably getting the bare minimum of 4 or so cups. Now, I have no problems getting my water in.

As I said above, my first month was the hardest. My emotions were all over the place. Heard the term hormone dumping, yup it exist! It was a very difficult time for me, even as I was seeing weight loss happen every week. Once I got to the soft food phase at 28 days, I seemed to turn a page for the better.

It does get better believe me, but its not to say you won't face tough times in between. The slow introductions of foods and foods you can't have til 3 months or six months, can be trying. For me eating eggs, chicken, and cheese got real boring lol I certainly missed a lot of food, especially red meat. I love red meat!!

Funny thing is now that I can have anything I want, I'm still mainly eating chicken, cheese and eggs to get my protein in. Guess when you can't have something your brain is like I want it, and once you can its not so bad not having it.

My capacity has increased a bit. I have not 'tested' just eating soley dense protein for the last month or so. For the last few months its been 1 1/2 oz of dense protein I could eat at one time. I could eat about 3 oz of mixed stuff, as long as the protein was only 1 oz. I've been noticing I can eat about 3 to 4 oz of mixed food, so I'm guessing I can probably eat a bit more dense protein alone, but like I said I have not tested it.

I was complaining about my capacity about a month and a half ago, because I thought by then my capacity would be more, and since I have such struggles to meet my minimum protein goals, I thought it would be nice. I was told I should enjoy it, because there will be a time, you want your very tiny stomach restriction back lol Probably very true! It wasn't about me wanting just to eat more, but having an easier time getting my protein in.

At this point capacity is what it is. It seems it can vary quite a bit from people six months out, to a year and more. I don't think you can know. I think you can use people's experience as a guide somewhat, but its going to depend on a lot of different factors what your capacity ends up being.

I admit I'm not completely use to my capacity, my eyes are still bigger than my stomachs, but I do notice when I'm around family or what not for dinner, and thinking wow that's a lot of food their eating.

So, all in all, I'm still adjusting to the changes, physically and emotionally. This is a very individual journey, and I can only say its been one of the hardest and most rewarding journeys of my life.

I'm very happy and proud of myself for my progress thus far. I know it will continue to be a challenge, but it will also be full of wonderful NSVs, and improved health...even if the progress slow down, from the first six months, its the journey I'm on, and its not a marathon!

Good luck to all those who are preparing for surgery, or just starting this process. My advice is research, ask questions. If you've been a lurker on this site (which I was for a few months before joining), become a member. This site offers support, and you can ask questions, and learn more.

And to all those who have been supporting me from the beginning (and recently) and have answered my past questions, thank you it means a lot to me.

Take care everybody!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 2:22 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You are an inspiration...may need your coaching.... :)

Manda32
on 9/17/17 10:02 am

Thank you!

I'll be here to support you in any way I can.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

eLoon77
on 9/16/17 3:18 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

Amazing update Amanda. I'm so thrilled for your success and wish you continued success in reaching your goals. I have no doubt you will meet them!

Thank you for being so candid about the test that this all puts us to both mentally and physically. It certainly is a roller coaster, and though each of our journeys differ the battle we all have to take our lives back and have those incredible lasting nsv is the same. It's not an easy road but one we've all signed up for and it takes a lot of guts and determination! Congrats on getting through the last 6 months post op. The best is yet to come!

Keep up the great work! You have so much to be proud of.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Manda32
on 9/17/17 10:06 am

Thanks Emily!

It is a roller coaster ride. Its tough, its rewarding, and it is definitely not the easy way out! But it is so worth it!!!!

When is your surgery date? It has to be getting close. I bet you are so excited!!

Thanks for the kind words and can't wait for you to join the loser's bench with us!

Take care.

Amanda

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

eLoon77
on 9/17/17 10:30 am
RNY on 09/22/17

Thank you!!! It's coming up! Only 5 more days of Opti after today and then surgery on Friday!! It's exciting but today I've been getting anxious a bit about everything around the house I want to get done before surgery. Pre op nesting! Haha

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Smoka
on 9/16/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Well said Manda. Thank you for your honesty and clarity. I really enjoyed reading about your journey so far and wish you much success!!

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Manda32
on 9/17/17 10:08 am

Thanks Barb!

Can't wait to hear about your journey as well, as you get through the next couple months. Hope your recovery is going well!

Amanda

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

oneatatime
on 9/16/17 7:43 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, well thought out post. Congratulations on all your achievements so far. You really have worked hard and through so much and your results are a testament to all you have persevered through.

Our journeys are indeed so individual yet so intertwined, and understanding what each of us has and is going through is so helpful. It really does take a village, and this forum is such a great, strong community.

I wish you continued success in the second half of your first year. Onederland and beyond.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Manda32
on 9/17/17 10:19 am
Most Active