Orientation, Invisibility and Isolation in Guelph!

oneatatime
on 9/15/17 4:16 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I completely agree: there is no guarantee anyone listened to or retained any of the information provided. In fact, I think half the room didn't even care about the dates! In my orientation, the most shocking news for about 1/3 was they would have to quit smoking to qualify for the process!!

Dates about surgery were not given out until the end, and that same 1/3 were relieved at how far out they were and boisterous about how much time they had until they had to quit smoking. Some loose useless timelines were included in the presentation.

I also don't think showing a video and talking at a PowerPoint presentation is an effective way to ensure people understand information. I think, unfortunately, it's better than asking busy people to take time out of their busy lives to watch a 20 minute video most will never watch and remember the information. Most importantly, I think the hospitals have a responsibility to educate us on the process, and unfortunately this is all they've got right now.

Alas, it's a puzzle yet to be solved in a very slow moving cog...

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/17 10:21 pm

I'm coming out of my shell more.. the group things when smaller tend not to be as intimidating ;) I agree OAAT .. maybe more interactive at the end?!

Blueeyesmiles
on 9/15/17 4:05 am

I felt the same way at TWH. The group was large in numbers. Some people brought support others were going at it alone. There was no ice breaker, name tags, just turn on the PC for the power point presentation and off we went. I watch a lady beside me text and FB the whole class. I couldn't believe she was even there.

I'm a pretty outgoing and cheerful gal and I didn't talk to ANYONE. WHY? I don't know, it's not like me. I'm now pondering the same question you have just posted. I might tend to agree. Pretty cool observation BTW.

GUY57
on 9/15/17 11:40 am

Thanks Blueeyessmiles! ;-)

Wouldn't it be absolutely cool if a group of people who had gone through the process... could sit down with the people who do the orientations and provide some feedback in a meaningful way?

The presenters at Guelph were quite nice and obviously dedicated to providing as much salient information as possible; however, I wonder if in today's culture of cell phones, short attention spans and youtube... could we benefit from another way of presenting the information. Just a thought.

Guy 57

Travelher
on 9/18/17 7:10 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I think that would be great. As a post op I would sign up to do that for people. Unfortunately at the local programs they will not even let you participate in the support groups unless you had surgery there, let alone actually help educate people. (I'm in East Toronto)

I'm betting there are lots of others who'd love to give back.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 4:20 am, edited 9/14/17 9:22 pm
RNY on 03/26/17

I went to Guelph as well, I think at the point of orientation you are having a hard time accepting that this is the only thing you haven't tried to lose weight, I know I was scared that it would be another failed diet. I also felt ( and still do) embarrassed that I had to go to this extreme to finally lose the weight, I've only told a handful of people about my surgery, I'm a bit of a private person.

Wishing you all the best in your journey ahead!!

GUY57
on 9/15/17 11:46 am

Hello countrysweetheart! ;-)

Thank you for being strong enough to share your vulnerability! Being a private person... your courage is all the more inspiring!

It is a conundrum for sure. People like me who are an open book at all times... holding back little if anything.... wonder what is the upside in keeping this information private. I'm sure that after 57 years of fatness in greater or lesser degrees... a hundred pound loss over a small period of time will get tongue's a waggin' for sure! No one would EVER believe I suddenly saw the light and went to the gym religiously to regain my girlish figure! hahahahahhaha!!

Thanks again,

Guy 57

GUY57
on 9/15/17 11:47 am

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY!!!!! ;-)

MinnieMouseEars
on 9/15/17 5:08 am
RNY on 11/24/17

In Ottawa we have three group kind of appointments.

I find that I always try to socialize and people are quite kurt. My husband and I are chatters so sometimes we had chatty people other times we did not. Times when there were socialization it was the supportive family member doing the talking to be honest.

At Orientation we had a chatty table but everyone else looked at our table like why are they so chatty?! Im not proud I am the weight I am but my coping mechanism in social situations is to over chat and be over friendly. Maybe our table bonded over being overweight married couples with kids. But in general everyone is pretty quiet you get one overly social person maybe but everyone keeps to themselves and I couldn't help but feel people were sizing me up and comparing my weight to theirs.

Surgery Date: Nov 24 TOH Opti - 25 lbs M1: 40 lbs M2: 20 lbs

Weight Loss Management Clinic Ottawa

GUY57
on 9/15/17 1:45 pm

Hey MinnieMouseEars! ;-) Such creativity out there... makes me happy just saying it!

I am curious as to why we all do that... the sizing thing. You'd think that since we've had that done to us... we would be less likely to do it.. BUT... I find myself doing it all the time! Perhaps its a hold over from childhood when I was the third fattest in our class. How could a child grade fatness accurately?? Maybe I was the first fattest and just couldn't bring myself to think it! hahahahahahaha!!!

Your observation as to who was doing the chatting (supportive family members) is such an interesting one! No one has made that one so far... and it may lend credence to the fact that the participants were maxed out anxiety wise. VERY INTERESTING!!!

Thanks again and I hope to hear more of your observations in future! ;-)

Guy 57

Most Active