Single Parent - Suggestions doing this alone?

Blueeyesmiles
on 9/14/17 1:25 pm, edited 9/14/17 1:37 pm

My kids aren't babies, but still need a ride here and there. They aren't old enough to use the stove. I haven't even thought about homework and support for school until today! I'm thinking I'll need groceries delivered. Never done that. I don't want to temp the pizza gods and have that smell in the house. How can I look after them if I can't look after myself. My B/F is here part time ( the first few days). I really don't want to ask anymore of my EX than I have too!!! Did I mention I have a huge dog too???

If you have any idea's, suggestions I'd appreciate it. Even if we aren't in the same situation, great minds can do some wonderful things. I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice.

b.

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/17 2:05 pm, edited 9/14/17 8:26 am

Well I can tell you that when my boy was young .. and I got sick.. it took a village ...my family... and as far as groceries ...ok so Walmart delivers- soups etc .... Well.ca delivers shakes and vitamins... Costco.ca delivers Premier Organic and regular.... Grocery Gateway delivers everything else...

Take care.. and remember this is the age of " you don't need to leave your house" I call it !

Can someone take your dog for a bit?

Freeze food --- make casseroles and stuff and then just microwave.

SweetRide1
on 9/14/17 2:10 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Ok, one thing at a time.

1. You can always order groceries from Grocery Gateway. I did it when I had surgery several years ago. It was great. Guy carried everything right into my kitchen.

2. Can a friend take the dog for a couple of weeks or even one week? Get a dog walker. Pay a neighbour to get the dog out. Some places have doggy daycare pick up service. Just keep him busy and tired for a few weeks.

3. Prepare food for the kids prior to surgery. Lasagna, meatloaf, shepherd's pie, stuff that you can freeze and pull out. You could even do homemade egg mcmuffins and freeze them and throw them in the microwave. Milk and Cereal in the am. As for school lunches, maybe warm up soup and put them in thermoses for them along with crackers and prepackaged stuff. I know it's what we're trying NOT to eat but a few weeks of this won't hurt anyone and help you.

4. My sister prepares food using the Stash Method. So you cook up two proteins, and several carbs, i.e., beans, potatoes, rice and then veggies. Put it in the refrigerator. Then the kids can choose what they want and change it up every night. Could be meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans one night and then the next is chicken, with rice and cauliflower the next, then meatloaf, cauliflower and rice. It's mix and match and the kids can make individual meals to suit themselves. This is actually much like how I prep food to get me through workdays.

5. Do you have friends/family that can offer some assistance? If you have enough people then you're not leaning on one too heavily.

6. Do you belong to a church and could get some help there?

7. Children's friends families. Maybe a weekend sleepover or even a couple of meals at a friend's during the week.

Just some thoughts. Hope you find something of use in this. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

SweetRide1
on 9/14/17 2:30 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I just had another thought.

Maybe you could hire a local teenager to be a "mother's helper" for a couple of weeks.

Get them to come over in the morning, make sure the kids get fed, make lunches and get them out the door.

In the evening, the Mother's Helper can get the dinners sorted out and load a dishwasher and maybe help with some homework.

On the weekend, help with some laundry, walk the kids to any sports things they may be involved in.

You might be able to call the school and see if they have any suggestions.

Don't high schools require students at some point to do volunteer work? You might be able to get one of those kids or a couple them to help out for free. They get the credits and you get the help. Something to look into as well.

Check with United Way. They may have a service that you could use.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Kathy1212
on 9/15/17 8:32 am

Do you have a family member or friend who can stay with you for the first week or so? My sister in law stayed with me for the first week, and it helped so much.

Does your dog like to fetch? If so, just getting your kids to throw a ball in the yard will help a lot with exercise for the dog. When I was too sick to walk my big dog, he did just fine with playing fetch. He also loved "hide and seek" type games where I hid dog treats coated with a bit of peanut butter and he had to find them. I found that as long as he got love and attention and exercise in the form of playing fetch, he didn't mind missing his walks when I was too sick to take him.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Dee321ca
on 9/16/17 11:45 am

We recently hired a tutor to help with the stress of homework. It has already done a world of good for my girls and rotors aren't that expensive. Could be an option until you are back on your feet. The preprep of food and family help are also fantastic ideas! I wish you well!

Most Active