Sleep Clinic

Lina_Ann
on 9/13/17 7:12 pm

I JUST posted something about being impatient about waiting for a Sleep Clinic appointment. I was reffered a month ago and still heard nothing. Yesterday I called just to ask how much longer it would be before they called. The woman on the phone said "Well, you're pretty far down on the list. You won't hear from us for at least another 3 weeks. We're booking for DECEMBER".

I was so disappointed I would have to wait that long, as I am so close to being ready for surgery.

Well, this morning I woke up to a call from the Clinic saying my sleep study is next month. Woohoo. Maybe the lady I talked to put me on a cancellation list? Who knows. It was less than 24 hours after I called.

ANYWAY, what kind of advice do you have for me going into the sleep study? How long do they need you to sleep? Can I take benedryl to help me fall asleep? Any tips or tricks would be great. I'm going to the Queensway Carleton Sleep Clinic in Ottawa

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 7:52 pm

Definitely ask to be on a cancellation list if you aren't already, it can shave a lot of time off your wait.

You need to get a couple hours of sleep, but I think they can get info with as little as 3 to 4 hours. I wasn't allowed to take anything for mine, but you could call and ask your clinic. If you have a lot of hair, I suggest wearing it up in a bun or a ponytail because it's just a tangled mess otherwise. I brought my own pillow and blanket, even though they provided their own.

If you do have sleep apena, you'll probably have to go back for another sleep study. Be sure to get on THAT cancellation list too. I went in for my second test in May, they were booking for October (!!!) and luckily I got in on a cancellation that was that weekend. Saved me months of waiting.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 8:52 pm

No sleeping meds.. and they send you list of things.. and a sleep diary... That's what my clinic wants.

losingit_sa
on 9/15/17 5:57 am, edited 9/14/17 10:58 pm
RNY on 08/17/18

What about Melatonin? Could one take that? Seeing that it is produced by the body anyway?

TWH (Toronto) | Starting Weight - 300, GW- 175

Referral: Jun 21/17 Orientation: Aug 23/17 NP: Sept 27/17 Social Worker: Sept 27/17 Nut Class: Oct 3/17 Sleep Study: Nov 6/17 NP Follow Up: Jan 3/18 Psych: Jan 12/18 Nut: Jan 15/18 Surgeon: June 1/18 Pre-Op: July 27/18 SlimTime: Aug 3/18 Surgery: Aug 17/18

SlimTime: -13.5 M1: -18 M2: -14 M3: -14.2 M4: -14.4 M5: -9.4 M6: -6.4 M7: -6.4 M8: ?

Most Active