Documentary - Yes or No?

Travelher
on 9/10/17 11:22 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Absolutely!

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

GUY57
on 9/10/17 2:13 pm

Thank you for your feedback Travelher! ;-)

Congratulations on your success!

GUY57

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/17 4:29 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

When I first asked my doctor for the referral I didn't tell anyone. Not even my husband. I guess I just felt like nobody would understand and would think why doesn't she just eat less and stop being so lazy. I still haven't told my in-laws and my mother in law has been known to call me a blob. But that said, I took my husband along with me to my orientation and fully expected him to say he thought it was a bad idea and talk me out of it. Instead I was pleasantly surprised when on our way home he said I will be disappointed if you don't do it. Now, I don't think he means that but I think he knew I needed to hear that he supported my decision.

My first appointment is Wednesday with the social worker and I'm nervous and excited and hopeful. I'm scared to death that they are going to simply say no, you can't have the surgery. And the implications of that scare the hell out of me.

I think a documentary is a great idea.

Oh, and welcome to the group Guy57!

GUY57
on 9/11/17 6:24 pm

Hello KarenKim! ;-)

I think your mother-in-law needs a little attitude adjustment! ;-P

I'm glad your husband is supporting your decision... since I am led to believe the stats on divorce as a result of WLS are extremely high!

I am sooo excited for you my friend! How could they ever say NO to anyone requesting help for such a lifelong problem. I can't believe that any true healer would deny help to someone in need. I am sending you all the positive energy I can.... and hope to hear great news after Wednesday! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback on the documentary and the heart felt welcome!

Guy57

LeslieCL
on 9/11/17 2:16 am

Yes. A great idea. I'm glad you're Dr finally agreed. Mine didn't have any qualms but maybe it's because my window of opportunity is closing. I'm 60 and that's late to start. Welcome aboard.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

GUY57
on 9/11/17 6:31 pm

Hey LeslieCL! ;-)

Like my beautiful daughters always tell me... you and I are just beginning the next chapter in our lives.... so 57... 60... 65.... they're just numbers you put on the cake.

I think my doctor finally said yes because my health is exponentially getting worse. I also think he FINALLY realised that this problem is not a willpower issue... not a lazy issue.... not an exercise issue. If it were... I would have whipped this years ago!

Thank you for the encouragement and please keep updating your status... because both of us have new windows to open! ;-)

Blueeyesmiles
on 9/11/17 3:33 am

OH HECK YES! You have zero to lose ( well, minus weight ). using your skills, communication and experience you could make a HUGE difference in another person life. I think it's an amazing and creative idea. Plus, what an amazing way to distract yourself. If I was have half as creative I would. But I will be happy to read, watch and learn everything about your journey.

The group of people here an nothing short of Amazing! I have only just started too. I've pushed hard ( yet very friendly), and I have managed to have orientation ( MID AUG), nurse, social, tomorrow is nutrition class, and my psych apt Oct 5th. I only have a couple more steps and I'm hopping I can con't to fast track. All the best to you and I'll be watching closely to see how this all comes together for you.

b.

GUY57
on 9/11/17 6:45 pm

Hello Blueeyesmiles! ;-)

Hallelujah for a Heck Yes! hahahhaahhaah!!!

Great minds think alike! I have thought of using the documentary as a distraction for myself... but if I involve others in it... then I have a responsibility to them. Still not sure yet... but after the orientation session Thursday at Guelph... hopefully I'll be able to see what everyone else in the group think.

When you say the people here are AMAZING... you ain't whistling Dixie that's for sure!! hahahahhaha!!! They are GREAT and I am thankful meeting such inspiring individuals!

You bring up an interesting question that I may post:

"Why can't we do all the pre-op work independently to fast track the process?"

I've got all my blood work done... my sleep test.... I'm already seeing a Psychotherapist... and it would be simple to book an appointment with an independent Psychologist and the diet material is available online. I can drop weight easy peasy to get to preop weight.... and I just bought 26 cases of Premier Protein in New Hampshire (no tax and they have the coveted Banana flavour ;-)

Any advice you could give me on how you successfully pushed hard (but friendly ;-) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for feedback and good luck on the nutrition class!

GUY57

Blueeyesmiles
on 9/13/17 5:56 am

In less than 1 month I have done Orientation, Nurse, Social Worker, All blood work, and now the NUT class. I have 2 more steps before surgeon. Psych on the 5ht of Oct. I'm struggling to get an earlier apt for the 1 on1 with the Nutritionist. I'm so close. I phone them every other week to check on any openings? When there is I just take it. My life can wait, work will still be there. I won't be able to have surgery from Jan to end of April ( Tax time). So if there is any way I can push a little and get that last apt I might have success before the end of the year? Only time will tell, and if it's meant to be it will. If it doesn't happen, oh well.

PS.... Anyone (TWH) reading this that is thinking they need to cancel there 1 on 1 with the NUT, I'd be happy to switch for my apt Dec 20th. Just putting it out there. Again, nothing to lose expect my own weight sooner. Have a super day everyone :)

GUY57
on 9/14/17 5:44 pm

You are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too funny!!! I see what you mean about being gently pushy! ;-D

You have given me hope that I can follow in your footsteps... because I had all the bloodwork, sleep test, etc done before today's orientation. I had done extensive research before today... so nothing was a surprise... thought the presenters were excellent!

Did you go through the Craving Change workshop??? That was the ONE thing I didn't expect!

p.s. Good luck my funny friend! I have a feeling you can move mountains with your determination!

Most Active