As anyone ever "slipped up" while on Optifast?

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/17 5:45 pm, edited 9/6/17 5:50 pm

If so, what were the repercussions?

Starnaenae
on 9/6/17 6:02 pm

Depends on what the slip up was... this is needed to derox and to shrink your liver and reduce the fat around it. I would suggest not doing it anymore. How much longer do you have? It could be that your surgeon decides not to operate if your liver is too big or fatty still

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/17 6:23 pm, edited 9/6/17 11:25 am

I'm on my second day of Optifast, and I was cooking dinner for the family and stole a tiny piece of chicken breast while I was plating. It wasn't a big piece at all but now I'm paranoid.

Someone else will be in charge of dinner for the time being, as I clearly can't be trusted.

oneatatime
on 9/6/17 6:33 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

It's a good idea to put someone else in charge. If you don't stick to the plan and put your body into ketosis, your surgery can be cancelled. I have heard of surgeons getting all the way into a patient and closing them up again without operating because they can't do so safely.

The other thing to consider is the post op diet. It is very strict, and for your safety. You will no longer digest food the same way, and if you steal bites of solid food before 10 weeks post op, you can actually risk your life. You can create a blockage than in severe cases can kill you. The food is a phased in approach for a reason. Your stomach must heal.

I mean this with all the love I can send you: if you need therapy or need to reconsider your readiness for surgery, now is the time to do it. I am 5 days post op, and I can tell you Opti was so far the easiest part of this journey.

I wish you great health and the best success.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

helferships
on 9/7/17 5:09 am
RNY on 11/14/16

YMMV but honestly Opti was the worst part for me as I was still hungry and feeling deprived and sorry for myself. I snuck some celery a few times to prevent insanity but stopped several days before surgery to make sure it wouldn't be there when I was opened up! I still lost 15 pounds during Opti and had a good recovery.

Post surgery I wasn't remotely tempted to sneak or cheat or go off plan because I had no appetite or desire to eat anything at all for quite a while. But I also found that i still enjoyed cooking for my family even though I wasn't going to eat what they were.

All to say don't beat yourself up but I do agree that you should do everything you can to prevent slipping up now so you maximize the chances that your surgery will go smoothly!

Good luck!

hf

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/17 11:33 am, edited 9/7/17 4:38 am

Granted all the above is correct ..however.. if it was chicken or meat ...well not a carb... so don't sweat and don't do it again...lol

and ketosis happens when you are really low carb and by drinking OPTI you are still having 70 approx carbs so it may not put you in to KETOSIS (Avg 20-50 grams)- having said that it shrinks your liver because the stores of glycogen are used. This is very very very important if you have a BMI over 40. Most livers are enlarged. Some over 35 depending on diet.

American and Mexican doctors have given out a liver shrinking diet with grains, veggies, meats and yogurt or skin milk. NO STARCH at all. So meat mistake won't kill you that once... take care --- good luck and yes I agree don't be incharge of cooking toooo tempting!

Most Active