Anti-depressants after surgery?

Lina_Ann
on 8/30/17 9:11 pm, edited 8/30/17 9:12 pm

Hey everyone,

I went to a nutrition class tonight at the BMI Clinic in Ottawa, and they mentioned some medication will have to be crushed. I take Wellbutrin XL and Citalopram. Neither can be crushed. I'm wondering if any of you were/are taking the same pills, and can tell me if you had to stop them.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Meggles07
on 8/31/17 3:22 am - Canada

I was taking Escitalopram (very similar to Citalopram) when I had surgery and I'm taking Wellbutrin now. I never stopped taking my antidepressants -- I took the bottles with me to the hospital and kept taking them on schedule. The nurse stressed that that was one kind of medication you do not want to stop for any reason. I do take a slightly higher dosage of Wellbutrin and I take it twice a day due to malabsorption concerns per my doctor's Rx (I had RNY). Thankfully my centre never suggested or recommended crushing pills because I'm not sure I could have taken them that way. After surgery you may have to adjust dosage/timing or even the type of med, but it is totally possible to find ones that work :)

Blueeyesmiles
on 8/31/17 3:51 am

I'm take WB 300 mg. I don't know how much or what the max - min range is? I'm having a phone apt with my nurse the end of sept. I will check with her, because if I need to lower, or change my pills I will need time. If I find anything else I'll let you know. I'll send you a PM today so I have your contact info. Chin up, they will figure this out. Positive vibes and hugs being sent your way :)

b.

Simplyb
on 8/31/17 5:09 am
RNY on 04/12/17

The Wellbutrin xl, will most likely need to be changed to a twice a day sr formulation.

perhaps it might be worth asking to change meds ahead of surgery to be well managed

Citalopram is crushable as I do not see it on the following do not crush list

http://www.ismp.org/tools/donotcrush.pdf

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Linda M.
on 8/31/17 5:52 am - Orillia, Canada

Good morning,

Like Meg, I take E-citalopram and have kept taking it throughout. I'm on 15 grams a day (1.5 tabs), and I was told to continue taking it throughout the process. The psychiatrist said we may be susceptible to depression/anxiety and it was important to continue it throughout the first year and then discuss with my GP. I haven't had to switch, modify dosage, or crush pills (they are so tiny). Compared to the extremely large multi-vitamins, or my calcium/vitamin D - that I also take whole and have been from the start without difficulty - all is good.

Since surgery I have had no bouts of anxiety nor depression and get happier as I get healthier. We're all different, I know, but a thankful heart for all that has been done for me by my healthcare team and the continued support of those who love me keeps me happy. That being said, I will continue with this medication and am off all others.

As your GP to confirm the information provided to you. All the best.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/17 6:45 am

I am not on anything .. now... but back when I went through this .. I was told that there are pharmacies - compounding pharmacies? -They can make things liquid.. I do not know how but they do.. that might help.

TeresaG1962
on 8/31/17 7:45 pm
RNY on 02/22/17
  1. I was on wellbutrin xl too. Before surgery my psychiatrist put me on Trintellix, which is a similar formulation to wellbutrin xl, but can be crushed.
Most Active