how soon did you start working out?

TheRealMeWithin
on 8/14/17 6:53 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

After RNY how soon did everyone start working out?

I don't mean walking, I more interested in knowing when people started going to a gym, working out that includes the core, strength training, etc...

My centre says to wait until 4 months post-op before doing exercise that engages the core. I definitely don't want to cause problems for myself, but I am almost 2.5 months out and I feel like I could probably start this soon.

If I'm fooling myself (which is completely possible) please let me know. Also, if anyone had problems from starting this too soon, please also share your story.

Thanks in advance

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Ginnny
on 8/14/17 9:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I actually didn't join the gym until 9 months out. Having said that I did play baseball about 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Listen to your body, it will tell you if its too soon. Start out slowly.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Wayne H.
on 8/14/17 10:04 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I am pretty sure they want you waiting for at least three months as you said, and even then no lifting anything over 10 lbs. Walking is good for the interim.

The reason is they don't want you blowing out the stitches holding your new anatomy together. The inside takes far longer to heal than the outside.

fromfattohealthy
on 8/14/17 10:29 am - Canada

I felt the exact same as you - but I followed my centres rules - I waited for the all clear at my 3 month post-op appointment which was last week. I even had to wait forever to lift my 2 year-old, when I could finally lift her, she was stuck to me like glue.

If I were you (and I guess I was not too long ago ;) I would stick to low impact cardio.

The gym will always be there :) and you are coming up close to meeting with your doctor to get the all clear!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/15/17 9:54 am - Ottawa, Canada

If I recall, I got the all-clear to get in the pool at the 1 month mark -- doing laps and/or aquafit. I visited the pool frequently in the beginning. Doctors were fine with that, as long as my surgical incisions were closed.

I slowly started integrating elliptical and stationary bike. Yes, they want you to hold off an any resistance training until you get the thumbs up at about the 3 month mark...and even then, it was light to start, and I didn't start doing any heavy lifting until about the 6 month mark. All this was on the advice of the doctors at the Weight Management Clinic.

Good luck and enjoy.

DD

Most Active