waiting the year!

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/17 7:23 am, edited 7/27/17 7:47 am

I'm going to say something -probably very controversial. I'm glad I may have to wait until March or April for my surgery. I've developed some not so great habits and they have been with me for a long time. This is a behavioural change as well as a nutritional change. It is big. For this adjustment ...for the fears, for the questions.. for the answers and for a person to adjust it will take a while to prepare. I am doing some research on successful weight loss subjects. Most of them had behavioural changes , realized it wasn't a magic bullet and realistically changed their behaviours, but that really wasn't what I was looking at. I was looking at the fact that the successful ones also did not have unrealistic expectations. Many of your successes are only half WLS .. that is a tool. It is to do with behavioural change and dedication to improving your life. I'm looking forward to it but I want to make sure that I am ready to take this drastic step and succeed so waiting almost a year I think it's a gift.Congrats to those who are changing their lives!!!Jo

Patm
on 7/27/17 8:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is a great attitude. If you can make some behavoural changes now it will be much easier later. You will always have cravings and head hunger. It is how you learn to deal with them that will help you in the long run.

Good luck on your journey

Linda M.
on 7/27/17 8:30 am - Orillia, Canada

Well said, and in my mind, not controversial at all.

When the doctor asked me if I had ever considered weight loss surgery, he backed up his chair - lol - because he knew I had been fighting this very real health risk for many years. He knew me to be intelligent, hard working, and somewhat successful. He told me to go to the orientation and quit the process if at anytime I felt that it was not right for me.

Each visit - social worker, dietician, nurse practitioner, psychiatrist - gave me something more to analyze, think about, and explore. I was in tears 3 out of the 4 visits because it was - and is - a very personal journey. This wasn't about being committed to not eating junk food anymore, it was about exploring my relationship with food, the fact that withholding food was used by my step-mother as a punishment and when I was kicked out of the house at age 16, I could only afford cheap, low nutrition food and also saw the freedom of being able to eat whatever I wanted.

I am prepared physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually for this lifelong commitment. Is it challenging and difficult at times - most definitely. But posting regularly, asking questions, maintaining a food journal, implementing more exercise into my life as I lighten up and keeping a sense of humour keeps me motivated and inspired.

Thank you for your post - it is definitely low cal and nutritious "food" for thought.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/17 9:55 am

Ok so we are kindred souls... orientation balled like a baby... it touched me to see how those testimonials changed peoples lives....I have been obese for 20 years...and knowing that I can be "normal" again --- by this I mean not disabled... (musco-skeletal issues) is overwhelming for me.

Every meeting gets me more excited and more scared....it becomes "realer" is that a word!

Again I love hearing all your thoughts --- your fears --- your excitement on this forum... we are not perfect ... we are human and I must say the TWH and Ontario approach ( only because I know what it is) is amazing --- not extreme --- not judgmental and not punitive !!!!

SweetRide1
on 7/27/17 2:00 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Agreed 100%.

I'm working very hard right now on changing behaviours and creating new habits that will be with me for the rest of my life.

All my testing is done and now I am in the waiting zone. I'm impatient but not.

I'm not worried about the surgery at all but I recognize that the time I take beforehand, is time extremely well spent.

I'm in the for the long haul. There's no going back. I want to get it right.

Well said and dead on right!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

gbears
on 7/27/17 2:22 pm

100% not controversial. More than anything you need to have your eating behaviours in check. Emotional eating, grazing, food choices, frequency of eating, all of the above need to be in check to be successful. This time waiting helps us get it in check in making those changes. Everyone makes their changes at their own pace so for some it seems like forever but for some they are perfectly okay with the wait. In the end we spent this long getting the habits and being obese, what is a year/18 months to wait to get a tool to help us change our lives!

Great attitude and stick with it!

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

oneatatime
on 7/28/17 8:57 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I think that's great, Jo! This is such an important journey and the pace you go at is important. You've been learning and evolving so much since I had the pleasure to meet you at orientation. I'm so excited to follow along your journey as you continue to grow and evolve as we support each other... and make new friends along the way.

Hurray for you!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/17 2:29 pm

I feel the same way... I am glad you told me to get the early appointments in- it prepared me and got me on my journey to discovery sooner which for me means more knowledge. You are such a lovely person and I know you will do well.. very excited for both of us... remember to share... you are going first!

oneatatime
on 7/28/17 8:30 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I am glad you're motivated!

I hope I didn't tell you to get appointments in early!! I remember sharing with you what I'm doing... I never believe my way is best for anyone. I only believe in sharing info so everyone has choice in their own journey.

I'm so glad you're figuring out what's best for you!!! This is such a personal journey and the only right way is the right way for each individual

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/17 10:25 am

I am happy you told me .....I would still be sitting here wondering and freaking out and have tons of questions...you were great! Getting the initial appointments earlier helps you get info and helps you plan and makes it real. You have been a supportive and lovely friend!

I am so happy for you- I know it will be soon -

J

Most Active