Preparing for post op

Beachgirl77
on 7/24/17 3:40 pm

Friday is quickly approaching and I'm trying to prepare for after surgery. What protein is everyone taking or drinking ? I was just at Costco on the weekend and hesitated on buying the big box of premier protein as I have read that some don't like it , so I didn't get it . Is there anywhere else that sells smaller packs ? Or is there another good one that they sell at Walmart or elsewhere ? Also, what brands of pudding and yogurt is the best to get ? I didn't really see any sugar free ones today at the grocery store, and cream soups? .I'm just not sure how I will feel after and what I will be able to handle .. any tips or suggestions would be great ! :-)

Kaylar
on 7/24/17 4:57 pm - Toronto, On

I've seen the smaller packs at some Shoppers locations lately.

My surgery isn't until October, so I don't have much info on the rest, unfortunately. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

leeann73
on 7/24/17 7:29 pm

Where are you having your surgery? I had mine in Guelph and they give you meal plans. I was on clear fluid for 1 week and the. Full fluid for 3 weeks. Lots of sugar free jello, watered down juice, apple sauce. My nutritionist said not to worry about protein for the first few weeks as the most important thing was to keep hydrated. I did add skim milk powder to everything for protein. Tomato soup, strained mushroom soup, roasted red pepper soup - those were my favorited. Follow your hospital guidelines and you will do great.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Beachgirl77
on 7/24/17 7:55 pm, edited 7/24/17 12:55 pm

I am having surgery at Humber . I will have clear fluids on the day of surgery. After I have tolerated clear fluids I will start to have full fluids the day after surergy and continue for 2 weeks.

TriniShel
on 7/25/17 5:10 am - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17

Hi there,

Get the Six Star (is use cookies and Cream) at Walmart. 19.99 It is Whey Isolate. I bout 2 cases of the premier and am now stuck with 1 1/2 as I am now not reacting well to lactose.

Make sure you have yogert (Liberte), cottage cheese (Nordica), Canned cream soup (Cambells or house brand, check the label for which one is best) and broth (campbells) at home. Oh and low fat milk (Natrel). I bought all lactose free options and am glad I did. As for the pudding I use Jello no fat brand.

Good luck and cant wait to see you on the loosers bench.

BTW Humber river is great. The dos and nurses are the best. The view from your room will be outstanding

Shel

HW:340,CW:267,SW:281

1stDay(3 weeks)OptiFast-June 21,2017 - 292lbs :Surgeon:Dr.Laz V.Klein, Humber River. Surgery Date: July 12,2017

* I am not loosing weight, I am getting rid of it... I have no intention of finding it again

Beachgirl77
on 7/25/17 11:36 am

Thanks for the reply ! I definitely don't want to waste money if I may not like the protein shakes , hoping to find some smaller pkgs How are you feeling ? What is it like after surgery ? I'm super nervous ..

TriniShel
on 7/25/17 11:43 am - Toronto, ON
RNY on 07/12/17

Yes I agree. That was the best one I found and is high in protein 30g I think. Taste good too. Don't buy the Strawberry it is horrendous!

I am doing great now that I am home.

Being nervous is so normal. The group suggested that I journal. I tried but it did not work for me. I took before picks just for me....for now and I kept super busy.

Just keep focused on the goal, you are doing this for all the right reasons. Weather right or wrong I took a sleeping tablet the night before the surgery so I could sleep. Best thing I could have done.

You will be ok. Breathe, try meditation and visualize the future you. You got this. Down load movies etc to your phone so you have stuff to watch while in the hospital if you can stay awake that long.

Remember for after ... Sip, walk, rest, repeat. Got to move that gas out of your body.

Congratulations...you got this.

Shel

HW:340,CW:267,SW:281

1stDay(3 weeks)OptiFast-June 21,2017 - 292lbs :Surgeon:Dr.Laz V.Klein, Humber River. Surgery Date: July 12,2017

* I am not loosing weight, I am getting rid of it... I have no intention of finding it again

Kathy1212
on 7/25/17 8:51 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery; so exciting!

I liked the premier protein after surgery but couldn't stand any of the powdered protein drinks. We're all different.

I bought several cases at Costco in Toronto but about half of them were bad and I couldn't return them because it was too far away once I got home to the Sault.

I buy mine now in the smaller cases at Walmart in Sault Michigan. Not sure where you live, but if you're near the border, or have a friend who can get them, the Walmart in the US has all of the different flavors.

I still have premier protein every day in my decaf, at almost 6 months out, and once in awhile drink a chocolate shake if I need extra protein and feel like having something chocolate, lol. I really like the banana cream flavor in my decaf, mixed with 1 tbsp on chocolate caramel truffle skinny syrup (no sugar). Tastes yummy.

Every centre is different; mine stressed the importance of having protein right away, to help my body heal from surgery, and said premier protein could be counted toward my fluids.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Beachgirl77
on 7/25/17 11:37 am

Thank you ! I will definitely check the different flavours next time when I'm in the states :-)

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/17 11:52 am, edited 7/25/17 4:52 am

CONGRATS!!! SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR YOU!

Ok so .... I agree with above except -- for more natural choices...Precision Whey Isolate Chocolate and Vanilla and unflavoured ....

Pudding and jello--- with stevia called DE LISH at Low Carb Grocery or Low Carb Canada

Love PACt - cranberry with stevia 10 calories a bottle but I mix it with water now.

Vitamin ZERO - with stevia ---so good

SISU does have a great protein powder but I have not tried it. I do use a ISO xp double chocolate with amino acids and I add decaf coffee.. can we say healthy and yum!

Soups- imagine organic ... all the way

Take care

Most Active