Behaviour Modification Victory

SweetRide1
on 7/17/17 7:59 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I was reading a thread this morning by Leanne73 about teaching a dog new tricks and I had a bit of an AHA moment myself yesterday.

I haven't had surgery yet but am close to finishing all the testing and hopefully will be approved shortly.

I've spent the last several months doing Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (on my own as I spent a year doing it with a therapist many years ago and it is an awesome tool). I have been trying to change my eating behaviours and create new ones. We all know that this is key to our success. So I have been slowly changing behaviours and yesterday was a huge day for me.

I'm travelling again on business. It makes me anxious where food is concerned. What to eat, where will I find what I need, what's in there that I shouldn't have?, etc. etc.

Yesterday I was flying AC from Toronto to Victoria and I flew business class. They actually feed you in business class and I knew that so I didn't eat dinner knowing I would get fed on the plane. They feed you well in Business Class. So first came snacks which I declined with no sadness or regret. It was OK. Then the choices for dinner - canelloni or chicken. Again, chicken I chose with a small salad. Rolls were offered and I was able to turn them down. Dinner came and it was proportioned properly. I ate slowly and savoured my food. I even had a small glass of white wine. A piece of cheesecake was also on the tray. I never looked at it twice.

When I was done, I was comfortably full, had left some food on the plate and was satiated - mentally and physically.

To be honest I was thrilled and RELIEVED. Relieved that I could do this. Relieved that I have the mental strength and ability to overcome my fixation on food. For the first time in my life I felt somewhat normal.

Had this been 4 months ago, I would have ordered the canelloni, had two rolls, eaten the dessert, had any and all snacks offered and would still be disappointed that it wasn't enough! I wouldn't have tasted anything and would not have enjoyed my meal.

I think you can teach an old dog new tricks if the old dog wants to learn them.

I guess this is the first of many NSV's to come. Thanks for listening.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

MeltingMindyLoo
on 7/17/17 8:52 am - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

Congratulations on making such good choices!!

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

Tuktu
on 7/17/17 9:06 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Good for you!! Thats so great that you made good choices - you are ready!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/17 9:27 am

I read an article ( yes I love research) on what people do to keep the weight off surgical and non - surgical- and yup--- it is forever living how you lost your weight.... indulgence is ok on special occasions --- but those who kept off the weight even the morbidly ( hate that word) obese kept it off by realizing you are in this for the long haul--- so congrats --- and yes you are on your way. I do not believe in will power --- I believe that if we believe in ourselves - learn to love ourselves ( flaws and all) we will conquer this and be successful!

YAY US!

Jo

leeann73
on 7/18/17 4:28 am
  • That is such an awesome post and way to go. I would love to learn how to work on cognitive behavioural therapy on my own. If you have any resources please pm me. The mental struggle is mine for sure and I have to make good choices on purpose every day. I do not have dumping and my pouch tolerates everything so far The good, the bad, and the ugly so I can get into a mental warfare with myself easily. Love that you referenced my post. Lol. You are doing GREAT.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/17 10:20 am, edited 7/18/17 3:21 am

CB is great ....there are some amazing books... I am doing the FOOD FEELINGs workbook by Koenig .. on Amazon... talk about in depth.

Also there are many great resources on the centre for clinical interventions.

Jo

Kathy1212
on 7/18/17 9:27 am

Congratulations on the amazing NSV! You made great choices at a time when it's not easy to do so (pre-op).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active