Day 4 Post Op

Stephi3004
on 7/9/17 10:40 am - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Hello all!

I had my RYN last Wednesday, so I'm 4 days post op. Hard to believe it's actually done.

It was a bit bumpy but I'm feeling pretty good now. My biggest issue right now is diet. I'm in full fluid stage but I'm having such a hard time with the protein shakes. They are actually making me feel sick and I think it's because I'm just so tired of them.

I'm thinking today I may try something different. Possibly a scrambled egg, but I'm nervous.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Referral- August 2016, Orientation Ottawa WMC- January 9/17, Nurse- March 2/17, Nutritionist & Behaviourist May 8/17- Approved, Pre-Surgery class May 15, Endoscopy- May 19/17, Meet Dr. Neville- May 29, Start Opti- June 14, Surgery- July 5

Mahalo F.
on 7/9/17 10:57 am

Good morning!

Congratulations on making to the loser's bench...

Day 4 of post op?

Stick with clear fluids or protein shakes. It is way too early for scrambled eggs...

Costco Premier Protein shakes are great, sugar free popsicles, jello, broth, Heins or Gerber baby Oatmeal (very liquidy) at this stage...

Scrambled eggs ? Too early... Your pouch is still fresh...

Follow the rules and ease into every stage slowly...

Sip ? Walk ? Rest ? Repeat

Hydration is key at this stage... I focused on getting the water & protein shakes in...

Good luck

Sandra

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Simplyb
on 7/9/17 11:41 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Post-op day 4, have a long way to go before you are done with the shakes, sorry.

I would not recommend the eggs, I still can't tolerate them and I am 3 months out.

At four days it was jello, low fat soup and protein shakes and water in very small quantities all day long.

Others recommended refried beans and ricotta.

Welcome to the losers bench.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Stephi3004
on 7/9/17 1:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Thanks for your input! I was feeling really stressed about the shakes.

I may try some baby oatmeal, cream of wheat with protein or soup later.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Referral- August 2016, Orientation Ottawa WMC- January 9/17, Nurse- March 2/17, Nutritionist & Behaviourist May 8/17- Approved, Pre-Surgery class May 15, Endoscopy- May 19/17, Meet Dr. Neville- May 29, Start Opti- June 14, Surgery- July 5

White Dove
on 7/9/17 2:27 pm - Warren, OH

At four days out a scrambled egg might have you crying with pain and thinking you are going to die. At four days out I put protein powder in my broth and it curdled and I ate it anyway thinking it would be something more solid than liquids.

I was very sick.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheRealMeWithin
on 7/9/17 3:10 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

4 days out is so fresh, I was told by my hospital that the most important thing at that point is the water so make sure you are getting all of that in.

Next, try to get some unflavoured protein powder and add it to whatever you can (oatmeal, soup, yogurt). this may help make up for the shakes a bit until you feel you can take them again. Or try a different brand of your shakes. Protein is SUPER important for your healing so don't give up on it.

This will pass, the first few stages seem so hard at the time (i'm in week 5) but they do pass quickly.

Good luck.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Patm
on 7/9/17 7:31 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Five years out I still have trouble with scrambled eggs. You were given a good suggestion to get unflavoured powder and ad it to everything.

When you get to solids try poached not scrambled eggs.

Simplyb
on 7/10/17 6:45 am
RNY on 04/12/17

I found an interesting resource from a centre in the states, try the following link.

http://www.muschealth.org/weight-loss-surgery/forms/nutritio n_files/MUSC%20Survival%20Guide%20for%20your%201st%20Month%2 0Post%20Weight%20Loss%20Surgery%206-2016.pdf

It is called the survival guide for your first month. A lot of vets here will tell you to really pace yourself and listen to your body. Guides are not strict must follows. In my experience trying to be perfect and follow the guidelines has caused me unnecessary pain and time in the hospital being rehydrated.

Also if you look around the site there are some other guides for eating out, shopping and reading food labels. I hope you find something that works for protein, I know that I can no longer tolerate the vanilla without playing with the taste, by adding flavours in the form of banana or strawberries (frozen) to chill it in this weather, takes some experimentation to not add to much air.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Kathy1212
on 7/10/17 11:13 am

Hi Stephi,

Congrats on a successful RNY surgery, and welcome to the loser's bench!

Like others have said, egg is a bad idea right now as your insides are still raw and have a lot of healing to do. You don't want to put anything in there that can hurt it. It's hard, I know, because all we can see on the outside are a few tiny lines where they did the surgery, but if we could see our insides, we'd understand better why we can't put food in there. Thankfully we can't see it, lol. At this point you could eat the egg and maybe not even feel bad or know you were hurting yourself inside because your nerves aren't working right yet; they still need to heal. So you could do damage without knowing it. Better safe than sorry.

Try different brands of protein shake, or try varying the temp of your shakes. For me, I needed them ice cold or I felt nauseated and it felt painful. I tried various powdered shakes and premier protein, and the premier protein worked best for me, personally. It was also easiest because I only needed 2 shakes a day to get in my protein for the day. I set the shake in a bowl of ice to keep it cold, and poured it into medicine cups as needed, and then upgraded to a pretty espresso cup, just because it felt nicer to drink from it.

I was allowed cream soups on full fluids but my pouch couldn't handle them for the first week post op; I had to stick to clear broths.

If you're allowed yogurt, it's a great way to get in protein, especially the plain Skyr brand or plain Greek yogurt.

I know it's hard but hang in there; it's only for a short while. You can do this.

Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Stephi3004
on 7/10/17 11:41 am - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Thank you all so much! I've found a protein "shake" that's like kool aid! I picked up the peach today and finally finished a full shake in one sitting!!

Ive also chatted with my dietician and they said to start some purées as well.

Most Active