Almost three months and still can't eat food!

Simplyb
on 7/8/17 5:41 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Just trying to follow the centres guidelines and really want to chew something!

If cottage cheese is a problem and the hospital gave it to post op day 1 - it just feels like a backwards step not forwards.

I guess I am having a wobble over doing the surgery at all and was wondering why I just did not wire my jaw shut.

We all have wobbles, right?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

White Dove
on 7/4/17 8:42 am - Warren, OH

At three months, I had a bowl of vegetable soup. It was the first soup that was not clear. During that month, I also had a half of a small Wendy's chili.

At four months, I ate a small beef filet with a tossed salad.

I was not at all interested in eating food. I wanted to lose weight. I look back fondly on those first months when sipping a protein shake all day was plenty of food for me.

When you are eating fewer calories, your body is forced to burn stored fat for nourishment. You will not starve to death and by the end of eighteen months, you will be amazed at how much food you will be able to eat again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Simplyb
on 7/8/17 5:36 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I guess my fear is that I will stop losing and my body will revolt from the lack of food and I will stall forever.

I am trying not to focus on the numbers, I still do not recognize the losses even with the saggy bras and clothes.

I am down 23 inches and 60 lbs, I am not really hungry - I know it is the head talking and not my stomach but liquids since March feels depraved.

I serve meals 3xs a day at work to my patients and despite what people say about hospital food, I find myself drooling.

It is funny, I work a surgical floor from time to time and the first thing out of most people's mouths is when can I eat? They seem to think 12 hours without food will kill them. I give them jello and juice and they inevitably wolf it down and puke....thinking they will starve to death.

ps: not drooling when they puke so not so deprived yet!

Kathy1212
on 7/4/17 9:18 am

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. Vomiting is no fun.

What does your centre think/recommend?

When I had pain after starting soft foods, I was told to start all over again on full liquids, so that's what I did. 2 more weeks of liquid and then 2 more weeks of puree wasn't fun, but it was what my body needed. Some of us just heal more slowly than others.

I can eat regular foods now, and only ran into trouble once with some steak that was too dry.

I still only eat between 400-600 calories a day, at 5.5 months out. Twice this week the levels dropped to just over 300 calories but I've been struggling with a lot of restriction this week. I had to resort to protein drinks to up my protein.

Can you manage pureed chicken mixed with some ranch dressing or yogurt? I really liked that on the puree stage and it went down easy for me. I was even able to add hot sauce for taste.

Cottage cheese and ricotta are soft, can be pureed, and high in protein.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Simplyb
on 7/8/17 5:22 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I would love puréed chicken! So jealous.

I live on premier protein 3 a day on the days I work - 480 calories

On my days off I am less active (10,000 steps only) and have 1 premier protein and water and yougurt and smooth cottage cheese (I still can not manage regular cottage cheese) and a few Gerber cheesies or banana - more like 500 calories

My surgeon was definitely right to be concerned that I would not have the time to eat at work!

Travelher
on 7/4/17 5:22 pm, edited 7/4/17 10:24 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Have they checked for a stricture? You may want to check out dr. Weiner on you tube. He has stage suggestions. He suggests beans etc first.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Simplyb
on 7/8/17 5:16 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I had a CT scan, it was not clear and am being treated for ulcers, with Prevacid 3xs a day and sucralfate(chalky horrible liquid).

I find that doing my job and lifting patients at work can often make my stomach inside feel like it is burning and can not eat or drink or swallow my own spit.

i did look at Dr Weiner on you tube and was interested to see a different approach especially the carbonated waters as I so enjoy them, but still find straws are problematic so I guess it is listening to what effects your pouch and system and what doesn't.

Mahalo F.
on 7/5/17 10:30 am

Hello

I am sorry that you are not feeling great....

I am at exactly 6 months.... I remember being on vacation in Florida @ 12 weeks....

I really struggled with any dense protein... What you are experiencing is normall. I think that our pouches just aren't ready for anything too dense or too much volume.

I would recommend taking a step back... Trying to slow down a bit.

I could not eat 1/2 a banana @ 12 weeks. I was pretty much at a quarter of a cup of anything unless it was really liquidy.

I like to think of myself as the "Tortoises" throughout this journey & experience.

I took my time at eat stage of this amazing journey. I have been a grazer! Eating small amounts throughout the day. I have it down to a science. I discovered early on the getting the fluids in was more important then eating. Hydration & Protein are key to success & well being. I still enjoy the Costco Premiere Protein shakes daily.

I start my day with a protein shake. That is what is use to down all my vitamins!

I have to admit that so am not too caught up in all the food. I definitely have (2) yogurts daily but still take my time eating them. I am at 6 months and I still have to remind myself that my pouch is the size of a egg or possibly larger now.

Try ricotta, whipped cream cheese,

Ground meat is hard to digest. I still don't eat any.

Take your time and slow down. Remember this is not a race...

Contact your weight management centre to tell them what is going on. They need to rule out anything medically wrong...

Take care & good luck!

Wishing you all the best!

Sandra.

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Simplyb
on 7/8/17 5:06 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Thanks for the advice.

I have contacted the center which promptly referred me to the book "weight-loss surgery guide & diet program" - please feel free to enter as many expletives as you feel necessary.

I actually went to the center, as they never answer their phone and literallly thought they were going to call a code white and lock me in the padded room. I was so angry when they told me to go home and follow the book. That obviously I was not chewing my food well or using to big a spoon, or eating to fast....

i have never felt that low before and had two chocolate chips that melted on my tongue when I got home....not a proud moment... there are now no chocolate chips in my house!

skinny_gigi
on 7/6/17 5:29 pm

I was/am similar to you in that i feel a lot of restriction. Make sure you chew chew chew and eat very slowly. Stick with purées if you need to. it gets better but remember to chew chew timely eraser size bits...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active