First time making Jerky and Zucchini chips (with photos)

BluIzGal
on 6/29/17 12:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

How long was the drying time for the zucchini? Are the machines noisy? I live in a very small 1 bedroom place so that's one thing I have to consider. I love dedyrated fruit. Berries, bananas.

Patricia

Kathy1212
on 6/29/17 12:21 pm

I think it took about 10 hours for the zucchini; I put it in last night after midnight and took it out sometime this morning but didn't check the exact time. The times are in the instruction booklet that comes with the dehydrator, but they aren't exact; it took mine longer than their suggested time.

My machine isn't noisy at all; it's super quiet. There's a soft whirring from the fan, and that's it. I've heard that some brands can be noisy. Just read some reviews before you buy if you get one and you'll find out which are noisy. That's what I did.

I just had some dehydrated strawberry pieces and they were delicious. I only cut up two strawberries, to test them, and wish I had done more. Yum!

My parrot is going to enjoy the dehydrated fruit and veggies too. I'm going to make her some apple and banana chips. I sure wish I would have known about dehydrators while my dogs were alive; I could have made them sweet potato or yam chips and jerky to their heart's content, and not been worried about additives.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 6/30/17 9:49 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Oh this is interesting - the jerky at the stores is always way too tough for me and I'm not a fan. Was this more tender? And the zucchini chips look really good. I may have to try this!

What kind of parrot do you have? I have a little guy - he's a parrotlet! He's all attitude even though he's smaller than a budgie.

Kathy1212
on 6/30/17 12:16 pm

Some pieces were more tender than others, because it was hard to cut the pieces uniformly, and I overdried it a bit. Plus I experimented with cutting the meat on the grain and with the grain, then couldn't tell which is which, but one way makes it more tender than the other, lol. It was about the same as store bought, actually, but tastier.

It was my first time so I'm sure I'll get better at it, but I do love what I made and am enjoying it. The zucchini chips are soooo good, and so were the Kale chips, which were so good I didn't have a chance to take a photo before they were gone, lol.

I have an African Grey parrot named Smokey. She calls me by name and if I don't respond, yells, "Kathy, I'm talking to you! Pay attention!" in my Mom's voice, lol.

Parrotelets are adorable!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 7/1/17 1:07 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I'm definitely gonna watch yard sales or kijiji for a dehydrator.

I love African Greys - they are so smart! My sister birdsits one often called Coco and he's hilarious. Very sweet and loves attention. The other Grey she birdsits Mishka has a huge vocabulary.

Cooper, my parrotlet is entertaining and he keeps me on my toes. Always demanding my attention.

Kathy1212
on 7/1/17 1:41 pm

I watched for a second hand one for 2 months and got too impatient to wait anymore, lol. Last night when I was snacking on jerky, I was happy I didn't wait any longer. It tasted even better than I remembered, but maybe I was just hungry, lol. And now I want more, lol.

Smokey has a huge vocabulary too, and she is super funny. She also likes to argue. Yesterday my Mom walked in the house and yelled that it was too hot. Smokey yelled, "It is NOT too hot!"

When it gets dark, if I don't remember to go turn on her light, she yells, "Kathy, it's pretty dark in here!"

I wish I had someone like your sister to bird sit; it's hard to find suitable bird sitters. Most people don't understand the dangers of drafts, using non stick frying pans, house hold cleansers, etc. I always worry when I have to go away.

Cooper sounds sweet! No matter the size, they all have big characters and demand attention like 2 year olds. I've had Smokey since 1990 and it's like having a lifelong toddler in the house, lol.

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 7/1/17 3:43 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I hope I have better luck finding a dehydrator. Maybe I'll check the stores too just to see what's available.

Smokey sounds so sweet! and very smart obviously!Yeah bird sitters are pretty tough to find. Thank God my sister can keep Cooper when I'm away and I also have a friend who has a parrotlet as well so he'll keep Cooper for me if Angie and I travel together. Can your Mom look after Smokey for you? They are alot of work for sure but so worth it. I would be lost without my little bird buddy

Kathy1212
on 7/1/17 10:56 pm

I hope you'll find one. I live in a small city and was having no luck.

My Dad babysits Smokey for me. My Mom is afraid to put her hands in the cage. My Dad is too; he wears big work gloves, lol. To be fair, Smokey doesn't like men and has bitten him a few times. She's never bitten me, although she once took my lip in her beak, looked me in the eye, said, "Don't bite Mummy", in my voice, and then let go, lol. Then she said "kiss" and gave me a kiss, but I think she was really thinking about biting me that time, lol.

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 7/2/17 8:13 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Yeah I hope I find one too.

Lots of birds don't like men - I think its their louder voices perhaps? Cooper bites me all the time, but I don't imagine it would be anything like an African grey's bite! Thank God she's never bit you.. even as tempted as she was that time. Too funny!! Don't bite Mummy!! I tell Cooper that all the time

Most Active