5 yrs post op - plastic surgery question??

Bchick78
on 6/18/17 4:37 pm - St. Catharines , Canada

Hi, a few years ago I went in to see Dr Young here in St. Catharines about getting a "panniculectomy" but he said that I didn't meet the requirements for Ohip approval. He said that my tummy did not hang down far enough and that I should write Ohip and try.

I was wondering if there has been any changes with Ohip requirements in the last few years, as I'm again really considering having it done.. Has anyone been approved for that or breast augmentation?

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/17 5:48 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It's up to the surgeon to make the case to OHIP not the patient. Many people are still being approved but you may have to use a different surgeon. Sounds like he didn't want to do the work to make the case for you. Breast augmentation is not covered. Breast reduction is the only thing that is covered for breast and only if you qualify. Once again, the surgeon has to get the approval from OHIP. You may want to see another plastic surgeon and get their opinion as they do know the requirements. Many won't do just OHIP funded surgeries so you may have to shop around for names of those that will strictly work with OHIP. There are a few surgeons that will apply to OHIP for the panniculectomy but only if the patient upgrades to a full TT and pays the difference. You could ask here for names of surgeons people have used in the past year that work strictly for panni removal. Usually if your GP refers you then they surgeon waives the consultation fee.

Leslie W.
on 6/18/17 7:50 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Dr.Nandagopal in Scarborough is excellent. He works with wls patients and OHIP. No cost referral. You can find him at his clinic in Vaughanas well. Had him do all my cotouring. Augmentation is self pay.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Leslie W.
on 6/18/17 7:52 pm - Cobourg, Canada

P.s. free consult. Best advice is to go see what they say

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Mary A.
on 6/19/17 12:01 pm

I agree with the post that he didn't seem to want to do the work, remember when you are approved through OHIP the surgeon doesn't make as much money as if it were the patient paying, it's subsidized, that is why it's only considered for the panniculectomy portion if you want anything further you would have to pay the difference.

Try another surgeon and ask them to submit the case for consideration.

I was initially denied by OHIP for my panniculectomy, but appealed and then was willing to go in front of the tribunal to have my case heard...you have to be your won advocate and be willing to push through the obstacles in your way. I had a hearing date set up and the week before I was to have my case heard they granted me approval.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

brynnd
on 6/19/17 3:55 pm

I live in St. Catherine's too and Young is renowned for being lazy (not to mention the amount of his patients that end up with infections for minor surgeries). I will definitely not be going to him (skin surgery is far off for me though) and will most likely head to Toronto or the surrounding area for any plastics.

wish you well!

sk8muffsmom
on 6/20/17 7:09 am - Canada

I used Dr.M.Elahi from Toronto........ www.elahiplasticsurgery.com In 2014 I had a OHIP funded panniculectomy,( grade 3) muscle repair(large hernia)& breast reduction/lift... He submitted to OHIP for pre-approval. I just paid for the lippo. Very talented & kind surgeon.

Good Luck

Nancy

Most Active