A question about Neck pain relief after surgery?

LeslieCL
on 6/10/17 4:34 pm

I'm looking forward to all the health benefits I will get following my surgery. I often feel like I'm squishing myself with my weight and I'm wondering if anyone who has had the surgery has noticed a cessation or lessening of neck and back pain after surgery.

Starnaenae
on 6/10/17 5:32 pm

Without a doubt. What im finding now is my tailbone hurts because i set all day and i have much less padding in my bum now but definitely a HUGE relief in back pain

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Meggles07
on 6/10/17 6:08 pm - Canada

To be honest it will really depend on the cause of your pain or injury. I have a chronic lower back injury that I was hoping would resolve after surgery. I have had a few flares up since losing the weight. What I found however was that the severity of the injury and my recovery time are much improved.

Meg~

Kathy1212
on 6/11/17 8:22 am

Immediately after surgery, for the first month or so, I had MORE back pain, every day, and also my butt hurt from sitting. I needed to put a heating pad down. It was my entire back; lower and upper, and I don't know what caused it, but was very happy when it went away. It was an overall aching feeling more than sharp pain and felt like a headache in my back, if that makes any sense.

Now, at 4.5 months out, I have hardly any back pain and I do a lot of daily activity. My neck pain comes and goes, depending on how I sleep or turn my head, but I have a disc injury so surgery wasn't likely to fix that. It is better than it was pre-op though.

Even better, to me, is that it no longer hurts to move. Before, any movement or activity hurt. Making my bed, doing laundry, shopping, walking a block; it all hurt. Now, it doesn't. Hang in; things will get better.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Jackie S.
on 6/11/17 3:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

I am only just out of surgery but regarding neck pain - I actually wake up every morning with pain in my neck, radiating to the top of my head sometimes. But I have discovered it is dehydration. As soon as I get 4oz of water into my body the pain is almost immediately gone.

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

HW:278 SW:252 1stGW:220 2ndGW:200 3rdGW:170 GW:150

Weight Management Clinic - Ottawa

HazelNuts
on 8/17/17 10:28 pm

I know I'm no dr. but I think if you did some exercises on a daily basis you can feel some relief. I know I did. So, if you want you can do these exercises to soothe your neck.

Most Active