First dump, OMG

leeann73
on 6/6/17 2:10 pm

Hey kathy. That's sounds like a horrible experience. I have not had dumping yet so no help there but hope it passes quickly.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:25 am

Thank you.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Nikitabanana
on 6/6/17 3:01 pm
RNY on 05/25/16

Hi Kathy - sounds yucky but glad you made it home in time! Not that I'm a pro but it sounds like it might not be dumping but rather something got stuck. The typical slimies/foamies etc. Painful and not nice at all! I've not yet dumped (and hope not to!) at one year out but I understand it's like death and you actually think you are dying and it's both ends (sorry - TMI).

Either way, hope you take care today and give your pouch a little love the next few days - chewing extra long and carefully.

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:27 am

Oh, wow; I never even considered that. It was awful, whatever it was.

I am feeling much better today. Yesterday I was super careful.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Teena D.
on 6/8/17 2:46 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

That's what it sounded like to me as well but I've also never dumped. It's actually not that common.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/6/17 3:37 pm - Windsor, Canada

I hate to tell you this but that's not dumping.

That sounds like stuck and not passing. Steak is one of the most difficult foods to digest due to the fibrous nature.

It more than likely went down and got stuck at the stoma. When it tried to go down the body usually starts to emit foamies (almost liquid foam) to help it pass. That's the slime.

If it passes then you are in luck.

If it doesn't pass you throw up.

That was throwing up because it didn't pass.

Make sure when you throw up that you rinse your teeth a lot to prevent tooth damage and then brush.

Now you should rest your pouch as it will probably be grumpy and inflamed. A day of liquids wouldn't hurt.

Feel better!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:30 am

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to answer. We buy only tender cuts of steak and I eat it 2-3 times a week; this was my first problem with it.

I didn't throw up, I just made it to the washroom in time and it wasn't fun, but it was the other end that was giving me issues (TMI, sorry).

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 6/7/17 7:14 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I've had a few episodes with dumping but mine comes with horrible stomach cramps and I can't wait to find a washroom. I haven't vomited with my dumping. If I were you I would stick with eating things you know you can eat without any issues at all just to give yourself a break and recover.

You are doing so well overall! All that biking is amazing - you are a real inspiration!

Hope you get feeling better today

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:36 am

Thank you, Tuktu,

Yes, my experience was just like yours; I just made it to the washroom in time with not a second to spare. No vomiting at all. Bad cramps, dizziness, sweating (but to be fair i was racing on my bike). I had to lie down after and fell fast asleep and slept for hours and hours.

I love my bike. Bike riding and swimming are my favorite activities. Walking is OK too, but I prefer riding and swimming. Yesterday I had a lovely bike ride; I did 15 km, with at least 10 of those km on a riverside trail that was quite lovely. I bought some books at a second hand book store and sat and read on a bench overlooking the river for an hour. I had 3 bites of a protein bar and some Gatorade G2 to keep me going on the bike and my pouch was fine.

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 6/7/17 12:24 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Wow Kathy, you have come a long way yourself my dear but yes the Dumping is not comfy by any means.

I have probably dumped myself on numerous occasions where I feel Weak, Nauseous sometimes even sick but mostly just cramps from my pouch as it *****es at me. When I get like that, I just step back, relax and in some cases lie down in bed until it passes.

Still, it's not as bad as overeating and dealing with a pouch that want's everything out of it like NOW. Had that a couple of times. Once driving and I had no choice but to pull off on a side street and let it fly.

I am working up my courage to get on a bike again. I think I will wait until I lose another 30 lbs or so, I have had bike frames collapse from my weight and don't care to experience that again anytime soon.

Cheers and Keep up the good fight!!

Most Active