First dump, OMG

Kathy1212
on 6/6/17 10:13 am

Hi guys,

Yesterday I had my first episode of dumping, while ON MY BIKE. Not fun, at all, lol.

I had steak for dinner, which my pouch is usually just fine with. I also had 2 tbsp of peas, which may have been the problem, I don't know. I chewed everything really well and went slowly. I felt fine after the meal, but about 20 minutes later I took my multivitamin and I think it was too soon after the meal as my stomach started to hurt right after the multi. Maybe it was my one bite too much.

I decided a bike ride might help digest the food (silly me) so I grabbed a bottle of water and hopped on my bike. I waited the full 30 minutes before I took my first sip, and immediately felt nauseated on top of the pain. I often feel nauseated with plain water and do better with flavored water but was out of my 0 calorie flavorings, so I still did not figure out I was probably starting to dump.

With ever sip of water, my stomach felt worse, and then when I was 4 km from home I started (TMI) burping like crazy and FINALLY clued in to what might be happening when my mouth started to feel, er...slimy?

I turned my bike around and pedaled like crazy. I wasn't anywhere near a washroom and I just wanted to get home. I felt dizzy and awful but kept going, taking the fastest route home, a busy main street, rather than my normal route of quiet side streets, which is longer. So I was able to shave a km off my route and made it home in 7 km rather than 8. I ran into the house, up the stairs, and made it to the washroom JUST in time.

Afterward I needed to lay down. I slept until NOON today.

I'd like to know, what is safe for me to eat today? So far I've only had decaff with premier protein. I had planned on eating a hard boiled egg but am wondering if that's a good idea. I also have half an extra lean burger patty premade. I'd like to go for a 12 km bike ride today. Should I just stick with protein shakes, or is it over now?

Thanks,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Linda M.
on 6/6/17 11:25 am - Orillia, Canada

I'm so sorry to hear it Kathy. I have a friend who is 6 years out and whenever she has any sugar, she reacts and dumping occurs.

My big sign is also a burp and a bit of discomfort that either says I ate too fast, didn't chew enough or had one bite too many. I'm working at continuing with my smaller portions of 1/2 to 3/4 cup as 1 cup of anything is far too much right now.

Feel better. That is one pleasure I don't want to experience.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:16 am

Thank you. I still don't know if it was the peas that caused this, or if the multi was my one bite too much. It's a big chewable bariatric vitamin and I can't take it on an empty stomach or it makes me feel sick. There's no sugar added. I can't eat 1 cup of food yet either.

I hope you won't experience it; it was awful.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Manda32
on 6/6/17 11:38 am

Hi Kathy,

So sorry you had to endure that! Glad you made it home in time. Sounds awful. I haven't had any dumping myself (I'm sleeved so less of a possibility), and I hope it stays that way!

I would stick to things that you have eaten before without issues.

Although, I haven't dumped per say, i will admit, I switched to a new multi vitamin after my chewable ones were done, and my stomach didn't like them. More of a discomfort than anything, except for the last time I used it, and I felt nauseauated (I don't think I spelled that right) for a brief time, so I went back to my chewables ones since they didn't give me any issues.

Hard to say if it was the peas (have you had them before?), and do you usually take the multi vitamin after the meal? I didn't think vitamins would give me any issues, not suggesting its what caused you to dump, but consider all things. If something was new that you added, I would suggest staying away from that.

Your doing so well Kathy! All this biking, wow I'm a slug compared to you. I need to get the exercise in, but my energy is the pits, but perhaps I should try harder. Have my three month post op next week, see if I"m low in anything, that could be causing it. Or perhaps I just have to get my butt in gear lol

Keep up the great work, and I hope that was your last dumping experience!!

Amanda

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

leeann73
on 6/6/17 2:09 pm

Talk about doing great! Look at you Amanda!!!! Al pat 80 pounds down. That is just amazing. I bet you look so different since the last time I saw you.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Manda32
on 6/7/17 11:20 pm

Thanks! I'm sure you might notice if you saw me now, but I'm still not seeing it. I know my clothes are fitting different and what not...but you know our great 'old' brains I still don't see much. I still think I see the 348 lbs person I was. I know technically, yes I'm still morbidly obese at my current weight, I just stuggle to really see it. I think for some people that's normal. I'm sure I will get to a point where I really notice it.

Although, I do notice my arms in the sense that I have a tonne of lose skin already and I can tell that's going to be a problem area lol

Oh btw, when you had your three month post op appointment, how long was the dietitian appointment? I see the doctor first than, dietitian, just wondering if its half an hour or an hour?

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 6/7/17 7:24 am

You're doing great, Amanda. I hope your energy levels come up, and that your 3 month post op visit goes well. I feel really relaxed and tired after my bike rides and usually read or veg out with Netflix afterward. I did 15 km yesterday. So far my longest ride has been 19 km. I need to up it a bit to hit 20.

My vitamin never caused me to dump but I usually wait longer than 20 minutes after a meal to take it as it's quite large. I've had mixed veggies with a few peas before (about 2 tbsp) but never just peas before, so maybe they were the problem. Or maybe the steak was too fatty; I did cut off the fat that I could see around the edges, but it was done on the BBQ and very well done, so maybe I missed some inside and didn't notice. I've never had trouble with steak before. Maybe I ate it too fast and didn't realize; I thought I went slowly, and I know I chewed it well because I'm obsessive about that, lol.

Kathy  

Manda32
on 6/7/17 11:27 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping my energy levels come up soon. I got to work on my sagging arms lol...among other areas. I have a membership to a gym, but haven't been motivated or should I say had the energy to go. A swim yes, but to work out not even close.

So, hard to say what caused you to dump. I think if you had a really fatty piece of steak, even well down I bet you would have noticed it chewing. Do you normally have them well done? Just wonder if it was too dry...I mean could go on for guessing, but may never know since technically you've had all those foods before. Hopefully it was a fluke!!!

Fingers crossed it will never happen again!!!!

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 6/8/17 8:44 am

Hi,

I know what you mean about the arms; I'm hoping swimming laps will help with that. Swimming actually burns the most calories out of all of my activities. Can't beat it.

I am now wondering if I just caught a stomach bug. I felt OK yesterday but didn't eat much all day. Then I had supper, just a small amount of chicken stir fry, which I usually tolerate well, and my tummy was upset all night and all day today. Can't go far from the washroom.

The only other thing I can think that may be causing it, is I recently added back decaf coffee. I mix it with premier protein shake in the morning, and love it, so I hope that's not the problem. Maybe it's too acidic for me? I'll have to switch back to tea to see if there's a difference.

Kathy  

Manda32
on 6/8/17 6:09 pm

I don't think there is going to be enough swimming in the world to save my arms from sagging lol. I'm pear shaped, but in the end my weight is somewhat evenly distributed around my body (I do carry lower stomach,hips/butt/thighs) but I've always had big arms. Gotta save money for plastics for them. I don't think any amount of weight lifting is going to firm these up, but I will try, I'm sure it will help to a point, but I'm really not loving my arms now!! Can only imagine, when I get closer to goal weight, I still have over 100lbs to go!

Could be a stomach bug. Were not immuned to them, and they could easily mimick dumping syndrome.

I thought I had a dumping syndrome moment, but if it was dumping, it would have been late dumping syndrome, and my symptoms were more along that of early dumping syndrome. However I had not eaten in several hours. I had just finished a protein shake (which I had used them for weeks) and I had to rush to bathroom in immense pain. However, for a day or two after that, I needed to be near a toilet, everything was going through me (I know TMI), but no pain after the first incident. I think I just got a stomach bug for a couple days, as I found out my other family members were going through similar experiences.

I'd chalk it up to a stomach bug, if you still not feeling well.

I'm not sure if coffee is acidic or not? I don't drink the stuff lol

Give yourself a couple days and see if your feeling better. If you have some kind of bug, probably most stuff isn't going to feel great in your pouch.

I'm no expert on dumping, but I would think foods you have tolerated before, shouldn't cause you to dump, unless you prepared them different (i.e different sauces that might be higher in sugar).

Hope you feel better soon!

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active