Am I getting enough in??? Help

NikkiIbby
on 6/2/17 7:25 am

Hi there all,

i had surgery on Monday May 29th at twh. I was told to have 1/4 for each meal and snack and eat 1tablespoon every 5 mins! But it said protein shake have 1 cup while to have 1 cup of protein shake 1 tablespoon every 5 mins I was eating my snack for hours lol so a friend who is six months out told me what she did..every two hours eat have a 30ml medicine cup of protein shake every other time and in between have 1/4 of yogurt or cream of wheat or apple sauce! But I wanna make sure I am getting in enough I am not hungry but I am able to eat a bit of each 1/4 cup! Or is there another way to drink the protein 1 cup and I just sip it till it's gone?

I need some guidance please!!

nikki

Ginnny
on 6/2/17 8:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Just drink your shake at a normal pace. This early out your focus should be on keeping hydrated and not so focused on the protein. The food will come. Track the fluid that your taking in. are you using MFP?

they sent me home with stack of the medicine cups and I never used them.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kathy1212
on 6/2/17 9:39 am

Hi, and congrats on a successful surgery!

I remember right after surgery, it took me ages, 4-6 hours, to drink 1 protein shake. I did use the medicine cups and just sipped at them all day long. I couldn't manage the yogurt, etc., at first because I wanted to make sure I got my protein shakes and water in. The protein is important to help your tissues rebuild and heal, and the water is important for dehydration. I was told my shakes count toward my fluids, so I really liked that.

I did 2 premier protein shakes per day, starting as soon as I woke up. I also sipped on water and sometimes a bit of chicken broth, for the warmth as I went through this in winter and was always cold. I used a tiny espresso cup for the broth.

You'll figure out what works for you. Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

NikkiIbby
on 6/2/17 12:37 pm

Thank you so much this is a lot of help! I am doing the premier protein shakes. So do I still wait 30 mins after protein shake to sip water or that's not till later one when I have food I worry about that? I actually am not all that gasy I was told walk as much as possible and I am but not farting it out just burning the odd time! Did u go thru that?

Kathy1212
on 6/2/17 5:19 pm

On my plan, I didn't have to wait at all to have water while I was on the full liquid or pureed stages. It only started at the soft food stage, for me. So I just sipped away at either premier protein or water or broth all day long, lol.

It took several days for the gas to seek a southern exit for me, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

leeann73
on 6/2/17 12:36 pm

I went through the Guelph hospital and we were not allowed to have protein shakes until the 3 week mark - it was just full fluids and they gave sample menus ... every hospital is different but they should give you guidelines

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active