Never full?

brynnd
on 6/1/17 8:38 pm

So, I'm only seven days out of surgery and I know that my nerves are probably just not responding. I'm still on liquids but I never actually feel full. I did the first couple of days but now I feel nothing. I don't feel hungry either so that's a good thing but I am afraid I'm drinking too much water; although, I'm still timing my sips for a minute in between each because I'm paranoid. But tonight I think I had a cup of broth (my phone was charging) in about 35 minutes without discomfort and that kind of scares me...

Is this normal?

Manda32
on 6/1/17 10:32 pm

I don't recall what amount I was drinking at a week out, but remember fluids go through you. If your not feeling full, there can be other cues to look out for. Can't remember them all, but discomfortable under your breastbone is one of them. Perhaps look at some of your pre op stuff and hopefully will have the list of these fullness cues.

If your not having any of them, I would just follow your post op diet plans...can't remember if it was 1 oz or more every 15 minutes. I think if you can drink more its okay. Just don't gulp or chug water down.

I did feel full so when I felt full or 'water logged' as I liked to describe it I would give myself a break.

Just pace yourself and you'll be fine. I don't think having a cup of broth over 35 minutes or so is a need for concern, especially if you did not have any discomfort. If it was too much for your body, I'm sure it wouldn't have stayed down. We all heal and recover different so you might get different opinions, but what someone can drink/eat at a certain stage could be totally different for another person.

Try not to stress too much over this.

I still have to work hard at getting the minimum of six cups of fluid in, and I'm 11 weeks post op. It was about 6 to 7 weeks before I could regularly get in that amount, but some people can drink loads of water early on, so like I said were all different.

Your doing fine, just follow your post op diet plan. If you are still concerned, than call your center and talk with the dietitian.

Good luck with your recovery and journey!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Ginnny
on 6/2/17 5:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

It was my normal. You can't drink too much water, your pouch is like a funnel water flows right on through.

I was drinking normally 4 or 5 days post op. Hydration is important. You will get the full feeling when you start on real food.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

leeann73
on 6/2/17 7:09 pm

That was my experience as well. I drank an ounce every 15 minutes and the liquids did not register me full but not hungry. Keep following your plan. You are doing great.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

brynnd
on 6/6/17 11:49 am

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better!!!

Most Active