Been away for awhile, but back with an update!

Smoka
on 5/28/17 4:44 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi 100Buttons,

I can relate to some extent. There are people on this board who were referred after me and have had or are having their surgery very soon. I still have not had all of my appointments and have no idea when I will meet the surgeon. It make me feel a bit ****ty. However, I have chosen to be patient and to focus on my journey, not there's. I have chosen to stay positive and do something about my health right now. l know the surgery will be life changing, but I have decided to change my life right now, by paying attention to what I am putting in my mouth and to move my body more each day. I am also mentally preparing with a counsellor. I am looking at the surgery date (whenever that will be) as an added bonus to the rest of my life. I have no control over that, so I am choosing to make a difference in the part that I can control...and I'm learning so much about myself. I wish you the best with your journey too and will be here for you to support you. All the best.

Thanks,

Barb

100Buttons
on 5/28/17 1:54 pm
RNY on 03/03/17
On May 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM Pacific Time, Barbara M. wrote:

Hi 100Buttons,

I can relate to some extent. There are people on this board who were referred after me and have had or are having their surgery very soon. I still have not had all of my appointments and have no idea when I will meet the surgeon. It make me feel a bit ****ty. However, I have chosen to be patient and to focus on my journey, not there's. I have chosen to stay positive and do something about my health right now. l know the surgery will be life changing, but I have decided to change my life right now, by paying attention to what I am putting in my mouth and to move my body more each day. I am also mentally preparing with a counsellor. I am looking at the surgery date (whenever that will be) as an added bonus to the rest of my life. I have no control over that, so I am choosing to make a difference in the part that I can control...and I'm learning so much about myself. I wish you the best with your journey too and will be here for you to support you. All the best.

Thanks,

Barb

Thank you for also admitting that it makes you feel *****y. While people seem to be sugar coating it by calling it advocating for ones self, it's simple math. If you push your self to the front of the line, others get pushed to the back.

I think it's fantastic that you are using this time to prepare yourself, and I can't help but wonder if people get themselves through too quickly if they are actually ready. Maybe they are. I unfortunately have felt like I have been simply on hold. My BMI moved below 40 not long after orientation, so I haven't been able to work on my weight for fear of jeopardizing my eligibility for the surgery. Further to that, I have been ready to make a career move however have had to stay put so that I can get this behind me.

Alas, I may just be one of the last few who believe you wait in a line up fair and square, no budding. Maybe I am the idiot here who waited fair and square. I just think if you are going to push your way up to the front, you don't announce it with happiness and pride to all those waiting behind you, it's a wee bit tacky IMO.

Smoka
on 5/29/17 5:47 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi 100Buttons,

I hear ya. My BMI is below 40 but I have 2 comorbidities. I've had to be very careful as well (very stressful as I wait for a surgery date).

Barb

gbears
on 5/29/17 12:12 pm

I read this and I wanted to clarify some of your thoughts. The people that have moved forward have called in for cancellations or been extremely lucky and booked an appointment right after someone has called in to cancel.

I am one that called in every other day for a few weeks to see if there was a dietician cancellation since it was almost 2 months after all of my other screening appointments. I lucked out on day and called right after the admin staff got off the phone with someone canceling. See noted that while they would love to be able to call and put people into the empty appointments they are normally just too busy between people in the office and the calls they receive from doctors and people wanting info and people calling to book follow up appointments that people calling for cancellations is the only way they can really fill them IF they do not have someone call, the slot will sit empty and be waisted time. I should note that the surgery is the only appointment that has a cancellation list that they will call people for.

Mentally I think the people who luck out with cancellations are still ready. They have to go through the same screening, they almost always have to do the Opti and we all have the same support. I don't think a few extra months would make a large difference in their mental state but only the specific individual will know this.

I just wanted to make it clear that there is no sugar coating by saying they are self advocating. There is no cutting in line which causes other people's appointments to be pushed back. I waited patiently for my referral an my nurses appointment. I wish I knew that they did not call to fill empty spots or I would have called to try to take advantage of that.

Each of our journey's is our own. We do what we feel is right for ourselves. In the end, the route you take through the process is the one your are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable, then you need to do something about it. Perhaps rather than hijacking a post that was supposed to be a celebration and for support and inferring that utilizing cancellations is the reason your journey was so long you can ask them how they progressed and try out some of their suggestions. This being said, I have had some jealousy at times and I have done just what I suggested; I made a point to find out how I could make my process move a bit faster.

I hope that in the end your journey is successful and that you are able to achieve the goals you set for yourself and live a healthy life from here on out.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

oneatatime
on 5/29/17 8:33 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Really well said, all of it. Especially the part about hijacking a post... this was kayotee's celebration.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

kayohtee
on 5/30/17 4:42 am

Can you come to TWH on Monday so I can hug you personally?!? Lol this was so well said. I wrote this post being excited that after TWO YEARS (1 Year formally enrolled in the program) I would be having surgery earlier due to an unfilled slot. I didn't expect the reaction that I got. Like I said, Im sorry that there is frustration for some people but I can't change that. I didn't make TWH give me an earlier surgery date, just like everyone else I waited for the cancellation call. If you believe in waiting your turn, that's fine for you. Don't make other people feel bad for seeing if there are empty appointment slots and being successful at it.

TWH- Referral: June 20 2016.

Orientation: Nov 02 2016 Social Work: Feb 02 2017 Nutrition Class: Feb 14 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 17 2017 Nutritionist: March 7 2017 Psychologist: March 8 2017 Meet the Surgeon: April 7 2017 Surgery: June 5 2017

Manda32
on 5/28/17 12:38 am

Congrats on the upcoming surgery! I just had my opti as is, just made sure its really cold!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

kayohtee
on 5/28/17 3:17 am

Super cold Opti is sooo necessary!! Thank you :)

Orientation: Nov 02 2016 Social Work: Feb 02 2017 Nutrition Class: Feb 14 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 17 2017 Nutritionist: March 7 2017 Psychologist: March 8 2017 Meet the Surgeon: April 7 2017 Surgery: June 5 2017

Teena D.
on 5/28/17 4:38 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Super cold with instant coffee granules was my favourite.

Congratulations on your surgery date!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

kayohtee
on 5/30/17 4:43 am

Thank you for this suggestion!!! I tried yesterday and it was SOO GOOD!!

Most Active