Taking my meds whole

Kairbear
on 5/14/17 7:04 pm
RNY on 05/08/17

I have just had my surgery may 8 and they made me crush the pills there but do I need tto crush them now that I am back home. What is the reasoning for crushing them they are very bitter and nasty taking in applesauce or anything else. I gag when I have to take them do I really need to keep crushing cause I had mistakenly swallowed a whole one when the nurse put it in front of me in the hospital and did not have any problems getting it down. Can anyone please help me with this issue I am not due to see my doc again until the end of may and I cannot continue with having to crush them I would rather not take them at all. Thanks for any advise u can give me.

Carrie mayor

Jo0710
on 5/15/17 8:44 am

From when I had surgery I had bought all chewables and was doing that. I'm still on chewable, was using a multi-patch and just this week changed to a small mutli-vitamin I could swallow and I'm 4 months out. I would think since you are only 1 week out it's too early to swallow them. If it gets stuck, it REALLY hurts.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 5/15/17 9:50 am

I had my surgery in Guelph in Feb and I was swallowing all the pain meds they where giving me with no problems, I still swallow my stool softeners! I guess it might depend on the size of your pills but they where giving me oxycodone which is pretty big! My pernatal vitamin is big also! Maybe u should call the office and ask!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Manda32
on 5/15/17 11:13 am

I was swallowing pills whole the day after surgery. When the nurse came in the morning with all my medication, plus pains pills, I was like do I have to crush them. She said nope and you can take them all at once. Think 5 pills in total (three are really small). So I did. Never had a problem swallowing pills.

I think in part it depends if your having any difficulty swallowing them. If you swallowed them whole and you had no problems with it, than its probably okay, I'd check with your site to be sure.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Christina.S
on 5/15/17 8:20 pm
RNY on 05/08/17

Hi there I also had my surgery on May the 8th I also swallowed every pill they gave me whole and there was a lot of them, when I came home I switched to chewable it's just easier some vitamins are big... it's your call however you can always call the discharge nurse and ask. I still take mess whole only my vitamins are chewable. I hope I was helpful. Good luck

Wayne H.
on 5/16/17 10:26 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I was told that the opening from the pouch into your digestive track is about 1/2". Anything smaller than that can easily pass which means no crushing. Anything larger than that should be crushed.

I was told this about 3 weeks out for me. I crushed pills up until then. Didn't like the taste but it was easily tolerated..especially with a quick rinse right afterwards.

Most Active