Optifast Help

LeslieCL
on 5/4/17 7:09 am

I have tried them and found the vanilla was nice with a teaspoon of raw cocoa powder and a teaspoon of peanut butter powder.

Kathy1212
on 5/4/17 8:29 am

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with it; hopefully it will pass, as that's a long time to be on Opti.

I was on it for 3 weeks and grew to love it and look forward to it. I missed it when I was done. I used a really tall shaker bottle and almost filled it with ice cold water (I used just a sip less than an entire 500 ml water bottle to make it). Then I added 3-5 ice cubes and shook it up. I tried it with decaff, and various flavorings but liked it best plain. The vanilla was my favorite because it reminded me of white cake, lol.

If you're vomiting, is it possible you've developed an intolerance to it? If it's making you ill, you should contact your center.

Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

LettingLayneyLoose
on 5/4/17 8:37 am

I think I figured out the problem. I woke up sick this morning and everything tastes really off. I'm hopeful that once I've recovered, the Optifast won't be so bad. Thank you so much for the suggestions though. I'm going to pick up some coconut extract to try once I'm feeling better.

HW: 299 CW: 165 GW: 150

Started Optifast on April 21, 2017 at 248lbs through the Ontario Bariatric Network medical program.

oneatatime
on 5/4/17 11:36 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Feel better quickly! Glad you figured it out.

Simplyb
on 5/4/17 5:10 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Feel better soon!

I had a very hard time with Opti until I found a way to drink them that I liked.

I tried every recipe that I could find and made it with a lot of ice and super cold water and a drank out of a bottle that allowed me not to smell It. I used a sport bottle with a shaker ball from GNC in the bottom to keep it mixed.

I know you said no sugar free syrups but definitely try the extracts and keep an open mind about the syrups.

Here are a selection of the recipes I compiled.

GENERAL:

Blend it with ice or make it with the coldes****er you can and try to double or triple the water.

Adding a bit of caramel essence to the coffee or vanilla flavour or a bit of raspberry essence to the vanilla one can give them a bit of a lift and help to mask the flavour a bit.

sugar free flavouring syrups are a great way to flavour them without adding any unnecessary sugar, is there any reason you do not like them?

Cocoa powder and Cinnamon. Both of these are low calorie ways to give certain flavours a bit of a lift. I tried cinnamon in the vanilla one and even made a Luke warm chai tea so the Opti did not clump.

Vanilla

Always use extra liquid and lots of ice, blended is best,not just shaken.

Vanilla with rootbeer extract (I used diet root beer with mixed results and diet Dr Pepper it was kind of like a float and totally messy)

Vanilla with cinnamon mixed in.

Vanilla made with cold coffee.

Vanilla made with pineapple passionfruit crystal light, add some rum extract, coconut extract, banana extract, instant pina colada

Vanilla made with water and add a splash of SF caramel syrup

Vanilla made with extra strong cold chai tea and extra cardammon.

Vanilla with tangerine grapefruit crystal light

Vanilla made with coffee and 1/2 tsp of pumpkie pie spice

Vanilla with 1 tsp of instant coffee and some maple extract

Chocolate

Chocolate with some coconut extract.

Chocolate with SF caramel syrup.

Chocolate with mint extract (very small amount and this one is super strong)

Chocolate with orange extract

Chocolate with cold coffee.

Chocolate with banana extract.

Chocolate made with strong mint tea

Ottawa weight management clinic meal planner

Chocolate & Orange Shake
10-12 Oz water
Crushed Ice
1 Choco Opti
1-2 drops orange extract
Blend

Raspberry Dream
10-12 Oz Water
Crushed Ices
1 Vanilla Opti
Raspberry Crystal Light
Blend

Chocolate PUDDING
2 Ice Cubes
6-8 oz water
1 Choco opti
Blend until Thick

Cinnamon Apple Shake
6-8 oz sugar free apple Kool-Aid
1 Vanilla Opti
3 Dashes of Cinnamon
Blend Ingredients. Serve Chilled

Mint Chocolate
1 Choco Opti
1/4 tsp mint extract
1 Packet calorie-free sweetener
Blend and enjoy!

Optifast Iced Tea
6 oz Cold sugar-free iced tea
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Vanilla Opti
Ice Cubes to taste
whip in blender until frothy

Others say Vanilla is easier to change the flavor but some say Chocolate is better on it's own ( I never tried the chocolate).

Lemon

Lots of lemon water, sometimes with a peppermint tea bag thrown in there.

Peppermint

Try peppermint tea & chocolate opti.

Starbucks Passion tea (made without sweetener or syrup) cold for a bracing tart drink, is very good with lemon and vanilla Opti

Davinci Sugar Free Syrups - I have used Vanilla, Raspberry, and French Vanilla. I used it very sparingly to change flavour and found the scent was the really needed element.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

LettingLayneyLoose
on 5/4/17 5:50 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try a few of them out. It appears I have strep throat thanks to my son who got it 3 days ago and I strongly suspect things will taste better once I get over this.

I tried both flavours the first week and hated the vanilla so I only have chocolate for this week. I almost always make it in a blender with ice and cinnamon. I don't think we're allowed to have cocoa, but I'll ask in class next week.

Generally, I hate diet pop, crystal light and anything with artificial sweeteners. I assumed the sugar free syrups would have sweeteners so I didn't bother trying them. Coconut extract, mint extract, coffee and chai tea all sound good though.

HW: 299 CW: 165 GW: 150

Started Optifast on April 21, 2017 at 248lbs through the Ontario Bariatric Network medical program.

Simplyb
on 5/5/17 10:46 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Get well soon, both of you! Ho****er and lemon and honey are my go to for drinking when I have a sore throat. It is still not bad without the honey and I have tried mint leaves to mimic a fake mojito.

With 6 months to go I am sure you will come up with your own recipes. Bulk barn has a lot of different extracts including maple and orange as well. Happy potion making. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Most Active