Diagnosis of Sleep Apnea

ronshoneygirl23
on 5/1/17 3:33 pm

Hi Everyone, just got back from my sleep study results and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I have been approved by Social worker and Dietician. Nursing was pending sleep study. Will I get denied for surgery. I am going to pick up a CPAP tomorrow and I will do another sleep study in a month. If I am using a CAP will that improve my chances. So very disappointed. Can anyone share if they were diagnosed at this part of the journey?

Christy

Healthygoing4ward
on 5/1/17 3:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/17

Hi Christy,

I have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea & I'm on BiPap. I'm having surgery on Thursday - my pulmonologist cleared me quite awhile ago. My guess would be there are quite a few people with sleep apnea that have had surgery. My pulmonologist told me that my sleep apnea might be cured after surgery - yay!

HW 350; SW- 262.3 CW- 182.8

Wt Loss M1- 22; M2 - 13.2

ronshoneygirl23
on 5/1/17 3:54 pm

Thanks so much. I thought this is going to turn everything upside down.

Christy

Simplyb
on 5/1/17 4:57 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I too have sleep apnea, the Cpap for me means the difference between falling asleep every time I sit down and being fatigued all the time. After my sleep study the Dr I saw threatened to take my drivers licence if I did not use one, which made me feel very negative towards the Cpap.

With the cpap I sleep only 7 hours a night and have a lot more energy! But that said postsurgery I can not wait to no longer need it!

Sleep apnea is another indication for surgery, not a reason not to have it. Don't worry this surgery is to fix medical reasons and should not to be denied because you have a new medical reason.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 5/1/17 4:58 pm

I have had sleep apnea from 6 yrs back I used my machine for awhile but having a new baby and getting up so much through the night I stopped using it! When I had to get retested for surgery to see how bad I had it I had no episodes during the study but the Dr said he still wanted me to use my machine. So the surgeon or the bariatric clinic will make u bring in a print out of your usage to make sure u r using it at least 4 hours a night! When surgery came u have to bring your machine with. But I didn't end up using it because I told them I stopped using cause I had know episodes during the study! They didn't make me us it! But for u being u have bad issues they will most likely make u! Your surgery will not be cancelled because u have it! There is a lot of people that have it and still get the surgery. I went through Guelph hospital!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

michelle W.
on 5/1/17 5:31 pm
RNY on 06/12/17

I have sleep apnea as well... and it hasn't stopped me from going through... Like everyone else said... they just want to be sure you are using the cpap machine... and you will have to bring it for the surgery..... It may keep you in recovery after surgery a little bit longer than someone without it... but that is the only issue.

The 2nd sleep study they are getting you to have in a month... is for them to be sure they have the titration level set up correctly...and that you are using it.. Just make sure the dr sends the sleep study results over to the hospital..and all will go through as planned

Referral - March 23rd 2016 TWH Orientation - June 15 2016 Social - Sept 6 2016 Nurse - Oct 3 2016 Nut Class - Nov 14 2016 Psych - Dec 14 2016 Nut Jan 4 2017 Surgeon - Feb 24 2017 Pre-op May 23 2017 Opti start date May 29 2017 Surgery Date - June 12 2017 HW-285 CW - 154.2 Opti start weight - 261.5 SW - 256

Preop-23.5 Opti-5.5 M1-13.8 M2-14.2 M3-11 M4-9.5 M5-9.9 M6-6.8 M7-9.4 M8-5.9 M9-4.2 M10-4.6 M11-2.4

ronshoneygirl23
on 5/2/17 5:28 am

Thanks for all the wonderful info and encouragement. Spoke just now to Lot at Guelph and she said I just have to make sure I use it 4 weeks before to still keep on track. She said my breath test is the only thing that will hold up surgery. Praying that those results are negative.

Christy

ronshoneygirl23
on 5/2/17 4:59 pm

Well, it has been a very eventful day. I called Lori at the Guelph Bari artic clinic to discuss my sleep apnea and what that means in my process. She said that everything is going great. She told me as long as I use the CPAP for 4 weeks before surgery I will be approved.

So I went today and picked up my machine and had a covers at ion with the CPAP Tech. I said I was a little taken back because when I was checked three years ago I had mild sleep apnea and didn't need to use a machine. Now I am told I have severe sleep apnea. During the conversation I mentioned that I take a med for sleeping. When I told her what I was taking she said that that med would definitely worsen my sleep apnea. She asked how long I had been taking it and I told her that a fill in Dr changed it a year ago. So tomorrow I go to see my family Dr and I am going to ask hi to put me back on my Ativan instead of the Elivil. She said that is a good idea then he will be able to see if there is a change when I switch med. She said it could mean the difference of using a CPA*****t. Feeling really encouraged tonight.

Christy

crqvingchange
on 5/2/17 6:56 pm

I stopped using my CPAP around one year after surgery. I no longer needed it. I had sleep apnea for 8 years prior to surgery (probably longer but that is when I was diagnosed). A sleep study done 1 year post-op confirmed that I no longer had severe sleep apnea. Now my CPAP sits in a cupboard collecting dust.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Wayne H.
on 5/3/17 11:31 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I am a CPAP user diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea as well for , oh god.. 20 - 23 years now.

The only thing it meant for me in terms of the RNY surgery was they keep us Apnea folks in recovery for a full 4 hours after waking up to ensure there are no complications. Regular patients without Apnea wake up and are then moved up to a room instead of waiting 4 hours.

I had surgery Feb 8th, soon after noticed I was waking up with a very dry mouth in the mornings. Usually I have no problems. Found out it's because I am losing weight and where the CPAP was set to #13, I reduced it to 11 now and am back to sleeping great and not waking up with Dry Mouth. Problem was the old setting for BigBoy Wayne @ 404Lbs was needed to keep my airway open, where as little fella Wayne @ 313Lbs doesn't need the same high pressure. Not sure I will every give up my Cpap but as the numbers/pressure decreases, eventually I may just not need it anymore.

Most Active