What happens next ?

Beachgirl77
on 4/30/17 5:31 pm

Just curious to know what happens after the trio appointments at Humber ? Are there other classes or appointments to attend ? Or is it just the appointment with Dr. Glazer ?

Simplyb
on 4/30/17 6:14 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

My experience was as follows:

If social work and dietician approved you with no concerns it is just Dr Glazier. Then you may need to see the surgeon again, to set the date.

I booked my appointment with the surgeon before seeing Dr Glazier but after that appointment, so that I did it have to wait too long. That said I did not require any additional tests - I have sleep apnea so no sleep study, - I had seen a cardiologist for a separate concern and had I depth reports, I had been scoped recently and required no further medical investigations. But that said if I needed further tests I could have rescheduled the surgeons appointment.

At Dr Glaziers office, the clerk records all your meds and supplements, you fill out a form with your medical history, a nurse sets a blood pressure cuff to do your blood pressure 3 times, does an ecg and the doctor asks you a few questions listens to your chest and dictates a note of approval while you are sitting there.

The office is busy, park out back the cost is cheaper, take a good book and a bottle of water.

You need to dress appropriately:

Be prepared to roll up your sleeve for blood pressure.

Be prepared to remove your top and bra for ecg.

Do not think your information is private:

Be prepared for no privacy of the meds you take, what you take them for and how often as you disclose that at the desk in the front of the waiting room.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Beachgirl77
on 4/30/17 6:43 pm

Thanks for your reply ! I have read that some do classes or other orientations etc. Before surgery , maybe that's another hospital? I met with Surgeon a little over a week ago. Had the SW and dietitian on Friday..which went well ! I meet with the Nurse on the 8th and Dr. Glazer in June. Maybe I should look into booking the appointment with the surgeon for after rhat appointment , I'm sure they book up fast ?! Like you I don't have sleep apnea, and had a scope done recently . It feels like everything is just moving along too quickly ...(still a little nervous) Thanks for the heads up about dr glazers office

Simplyb
on 4/30/17 7:50 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I did find Humber a little underwhelming in their support when I hear about some of the other programs, but this is a somewhat solitary process - no one can do the head work but ourselves.

This forum is great support, it offers tangible real life advice that I find invaluable and in real time from folks who have walked the walk.

As for the nervous, I hear you. I almost backed out as they lay me on the table and tied my arms and braced my feet until I woke up in recovery still ready to tell them I had changed my mind.

I have asked myself since "why did I do this" but as my pants fell down in loblaws today I had to smile and blush and I nod to myself thinking "this is why" so I can finally lose the weight, become healthy, live longer and feel less self conscious of myself (but not when your pants are falling down).

I would try to book the appointment, I would try the "in advance booking to accommodate vacation schedule at work through the summer due to restrictions in time off" ;)

I hated the lack of privacy at Dr Glaziers office and if I had known I would have taken a list of my medication and handed it to the receptionist.

If you do it, set it up like the following and ask her if she still needs the bottles, tell her all medications, over the counter drugs and vitamins are listed:

medication name, dose, route, time taken, daily, for what for example:

Lorazepam, 0.5 mg, sublingual, as needed, for anxiety

Pantoprazole, 40 mg, orally, once daily at 0700, for Acid Reflux

Centrum Multivitamin, 1 tablet, orally, twice daily at 0800 and 1700, as ordered pre surgery

It is a good list to have anyway as you need it for the pre-op appointment (sorry, which I forgot about) just before surgery and to give to the nurse and on the day of surgery.

The pre-op appointment is at Humber, close to your surgery date. You do blood work, vitals, review your pre-op form (that you get from surgeon at your appointment after seeing Dr Glazier) see the nurse, get weighed, meet an anesthesiologist *****views your pre-op form and discusses risks of general anesthetic and clears you for surgery from an anesthetic perspective - lungs, heart, history of surgeries and responses to anesthesia.

sorry I was rambling, watching Tv with the family.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 5/3/17 4:50 am

I went to Humber

I met with Dr. Glazier (January) prior to my trio (February) and my final appointment with Dr. Starr

The minute I left the trio appointment I called Dr. Starr's office to arrange my final appointment with him and they actually provided me a surgery date that day which happened fast, as they had an opening in only 3 weeks; I went directly to Dr. Starr's office to pick up the optifast that day

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Beachgirl77
on 5/3/17 7:19 am

Oh wow ! That happened really fast for you ! I met with Dr Starr 2 weeks ago and received the trio appointments for July and appointment with Glazier for June . So I would have met with Dr glazier before the trios, but I took some cancellations and actually did the SW / RD last week . I see the Nurse next Mon. And I am on a cancellation list for Glazier. I guess I was just a little confused as to ani getting the surgery.. the SW said I would have known after meeting with her and the RD .. but I think Glazier confirms that doesn't he ? I think I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything it seems like it's going quickly . Now did you have a sleep test done ? How did your surgery go ? Any regrets ? I am still a little on the fence some days and others I'm all for it ...

Most Active