Six week post op appointment

Manda32
on 4/26/17 4:45 pm

I met with my surgeon today in Guelph for my six weeks post op appointment. He was very impressed with my weight loss. Glad to hear, although, been slowing down since I started the soft protein diet, not really happy about that, but I still appreciate that its weight being lost, and haven't stalled yet...but I'm sure I'll be due for one lol

I have lost 28lbs since my surgery. I was so estatic, when I went into the 200s. I haven't been below 300 in about 6-7 years. Think I got there around week 3. Again super happy about that.

All in all, everything is going well...except I'm still struggling to get my minimum 6 cups of fluid in. The last couple weeks, I've been improving, but it hasn't been consistent in me getting 6 cups daily. Probably why, my energy is low...well not probably, surgeon said with low in take of fluid, and still recovering from major surgery that what I've been experiencing energy wise, is somewhat normal. Being that if I start getting my fluids in, my energy might not be 100 percent normal yet, but would be better if I wasn't struggling with it.

Just curious, for people who are around this time frame, or perhaps remember, how much were you eating around this time and were you having difficulty getting fluids in?

I can eat about an oz of meat, and that's about it..maybe a couple bites of a veggie. I can now eat one egg scrambled, the first week, only half. Not sure if that's good or too much???

My center really didn't say much about quantity of food for this stage. I've heard that its around 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at this stage. Does that sound right?

Getting through the three weeks of full fluids was hard mental/physical but now that I can eat somethings, its really eased off. I mean my mental hunger is always going to be there and going to have ups and downs, I'm sure, but I'm so glad I can chew food again!!

No regrets having the sleeve done! I can't wait to continue on...although waiting for red meat to return to my diet is going to be trying lol

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

crqvingchange
on 4/26/17 7:02 pm

I waited the full 6 months that Guelph recommended and I was glad I waited. I have never had an issue with beef. Pork did not sit well in my pouch and apart from bacon, I no longer enjoy port that much. For portions you are still early out so I would not go past 1/3 of a cup. Maybe in a month go for the full 1/2 cup. Work really hard on getting your fluids in. Add water enhancer, drink decaf, drink broth. You will feel so much better and it will help with healing. Always have a drink in your hand and sip constantly once the 30 minutes has passed since your meal. Soon you will be able to drink more at one time.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Manda32
on 4/27/17 9:58 am

Thanks for replying.

I'm starting to use water enhancers, its what increases my fluid intakes on days I actually meet or exceed the limit. I know I have to work harder to get it in.

Red meat, if I'm honest I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I was trying to get it to be introduced into my diet before my three month, as many sites don't have this restriction. After talking with one of the dietitians on the phone a few weeks ago, I decided not to introduce it right now, and see what goes at my three month appointment. I've heard that some people get the green light to have red meat once a week after 3 months. Will see what goes, I know many people from Guelph wait the six months, and I may do that, but honestly I'm not sure. Yes, I miss red meat, but I'm thinking about what I can have for now at its not part of my diet. I can't wait for three months honestly, to be able to have raw vegetables, and salad lol

Again thanks for the advice.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

crqvingchange
on 4/27/17 2:19 pm

Salad was what I craved the most. Ground beef was easier for me in the beginning. As long as I had some gravy or sauce it went down OK. I found that I also needed gravy or mayo with chicken.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Starnaenae
on 4/27/17 2:29 am

At 6 weeks i was at half a cup which is perfectly fine. Calories tota was abt 400-450 a day. I havent had an issue with liquids ever. I was drinking over 2 litres a day when i first got home. Now its 3-4 or more. Liquids are very important. Def try as suggested above!!! Youll get there and congrats on the weight loss!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Manda32
on 4/27/17 10:01 am

Thanks for you response. Looking at your message board you've been doing great weight loss journey congrats!

May i ask how much you were eating around 2 to 3 months and what your calories were if you recall? Again my center doesn't have very clear guidelines. And if you don't mind how much your eating now presently, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for replying. I appreciate the insight.

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Starnaenae
on 4/27/17 11:53 am

I just checked and i was getting about 600 calories a day at that point. again just 1/2 cup at a time... im LUCKY now to finish 3/4 cup... i usually tend to stick to 1/2 a cup to be safe... currently i am eating between 715 and 790 calories a day... i still have 1 premier shake a day because i dont eat meat and i would meet my protein goals otherwise. i think youre doing GREAT!!!!! PM me if you want to chat!!! my center doesnt give guidlines rather they tell you to measure... so new into it... calories DONT matter.. its fluids and proteins and making sure youre not over eating!!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

leeann73
on 4/27/17 3:31 am

Wow. You are doing so great. Way to go. I agree with the comments on fluids and maybe at some chicken broth too. You are so strong and doing great. Congratulations.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Manda32
on 4/27/17 10:03 am

Thanks Lee-Ann! I appreciate the kinds words. Let me know how you are doing PM, text, or call me. Love to catch up with you.

Amanda

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 4/27/17 6:18 am

Congratulations, you're doing great!

My booklet for your stage suggests 1/4 cup to 3/4 cups but warns that you won't be able to eat more than a few tablespoons at first, to eat slowly, and always stop as soon as you feel full. I was never able to eat the full amount on that stage. My calories were anywhere from 350-550 at that time, I think. I still had to have one protein shake per day to get my protein in (and still often do now at 12 weeks out).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active