Sleep...Does it get better after surgery?

Smoka
on 4/23/17 5:37 am
RNY on 09/12/17

I am hoping that after surgery and some weight is lost, that I will be able to sleep through the night and feel well rested. I think because of the excess weight, I wake myself up when I toss and turn. I also have sleep apnea. Please tell me that I will be able to sleep well!

crqvingchange
on 4/23/17 6:19 am

For me it did get better but it took some time. As I started to lose weight and continued using my CPAP the pressure needed to be adjusted and it would wake me up. At about 1 year post-op I had a new sleep study that said I no longer had apnea. I was so happy to get rid of that machine. As I lost weight I also had issues with not getting comfortable with my body adjusting to the weightloss. My hip would hurt, Now at 2.5 years out, I sleep pretty well. There are no frequent trips to the bathroom during the night. I am not snoring and waking myself up. Most days I exercise, so when I sleep, I sleep like a rock. This is the best I've slept in decades. Is it perfect everynight? No. I would say that I sleep well 95% of the time. The other 5% is usually my stupid mind not calming down, or I pushed it a little too far when working out.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Smoka
on 4/23/17 6:48 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Wow. This is great news. Thanks so much taking the time to respond.

Kathy1212
on 4/23/17 2:43 pm

It got better for me. I've only had one night in almost 12 weeks where I couldn't sleep and stayed up until 4 AM, and it was my own fault for not going to bed when I was sleepy; I got a second wind, lol.

Most nights I can't keep my eyes open and fall fast asleep at about midnight. I sleep until 7 or 8, so 7 or 8 hours of sleep per night is normal for me now.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

MonaLisaSmile
on 4/23/17 6:58 pm - Canada

Hey Barb

I remember one of the best "side effects" from surgery was the amazing sleep I had. Im a side sleeper. I would get on my side..hug a pillow against my stomach....and boom....out light a light. I would wake up in the exact same position. The first 3mths especially. Mind you during that time....staying awake all day was difficult as well. I would lie down and rest in the afternoon, but not sleep (never been a napper) I think a combination of the healing, the low caloric intake, no caffeine or sugar all contributed to my amazing sleep.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Smoka
on 4/24/17 1:39 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Sounds awesome. I can't wait!

Mahalo F.
on 4/24/17 1:02 am, edited 4/23/17 6:02 pm

Good morning!

I am almost 16 weeks out & have lost 83 lbs.

I am currently using a BIPAP machine for my sleep apnea. My mask is nose only. Quite honestly, I slept well during the night. I am quite busy raising my three amazing sons. I still feel exhausted post RNY...

I am having some difficulty sleeping now. I am a nose breather and for some reason I am now opening my mouth during the night. So I awake up a lot during the night because of dry mouth.

My respiratory therapist has adjusted my pressures, increased & decreased humidity. I am now using a chin strap. That combined with the straps of my BIPAP mask, my head is uncomfortable. I feel like Hannibal Lecter. I am waiting on a new sleep study to figure out what is happening. I've been a snorer since I was a teenager. I was skinny then. I have structural issues.

So the weight loss has messed me up a bit. I have become a evening napper. Then I wake up @ 1am and I seem to get a second wind.

Everyone is different!

I imagine sleep will improve for most!

Good luck

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Smoka
on 4/24/17 1:37 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks for sharing your sleep journey. I too get dry mouth and it is painful to wake up to in the middle of the night. My mask is nose only too. Actually, I really hate it and I sleep (or don't sleep!) the same with or without it. I am really hoping that I do not have to use it anymore and that I am able to sleep right on through the night without waking up. Sounds like you are doing awesome with your weight loss. All the best to you!

Most Active