Second Stage Success

Linda M.
on 4/4/17 2:41 pm - Orillia, Canada

According to Guelph, I'm on the fuller liquid stage for another week. I have been having protein powder shakes for breakfast and dinner, cream soup (blended well to remove the chunks instead of straining it) made with 1% milk, plain (very tart) Skyr yogurt twice a day and either apple sauce or vanilla pudding. Shakes are 1 cup made with water, soup is a cup (half soup half milk), and the rest is 1/4 cup. I'm getting in all of my water with lemon juice, taking in my vitamins and prescription medications without trouble. It's all been good. I'm taking in about 460 calories and 80 grams of protein.

I saw my G.P. today and he was really pleased with my progress. I had the staples removed (only 3 pinched - not a big deal at all), my blood pressure was in the normal range, and he ordered blood work to ensure my levels were also back to normal. We are all individuals and I know that I will lose at my own pace. But scales do discourage us as do comparisons to other members. I am judging myself more about how I'm staying on track: am I getting my energy back, am I taking in all of my meals, water and nutrients on schedule? I lost 10 lbs. on Opti and due to my inability to take diuretics after the surgery, was the same weight when I went home. I promptly lost 10 lbs. during the week following and believe I am doing wonderfully. It may be hard to remain positive knowing that this chosen journey is the successful way towards improved help, but today I'm smiling and know that I am doing well.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

JenFraser
on 4/4/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 03/31/17

Well done Linda!! Congrats on both your progress and your fabulous positivity!!

I am 4 days post op and still working through the obstacle course that is food and medications and water, but I think I'm doing pretty well so far. Your story has given me more hope that I can do this!!

Cheers to you! ?

skinny_gigi
on 4/4/17 6:43 pm

You're doing GREAT! I came home the EXACT same weight. And we all know what kind of headspace I was in...so you can ONLY IMAGINE how that went over with me. But you are right...comparing steals our joy...our bodies also have memory...so sometimes it holds because of something in the past...

With all that said...you're doing great!! Take pictures, measurements, etc. It's very hard to see progress when you're in the middle of it all...sometime you need to take a step back. You're following all the rules, so you will be successful!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Kathy1212
on 4/5/17 6:22 am

You're doing great, and I love your attitude about this whole thing. So happy for you!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Navy
on 4/5/17 2:09 pm

You're doing great Linda! Which protein powder are you using? I've been drinking Premier protein but not liking the taste post surgery. I also added some puréed lentils and beans this week hopefully that's OK in addition to the soups. Keep up the great work.

Linda M.
on 4/5/17 2:42 pm - Orillia, Canada

Hi,

I've never tried Premier Protein and they don't suggest protein powders or the thicker brand either. I use Leanfit chocolate (they also have vanilla) whey isolate protein powder from Costco. About $35 for a tub that lasts quite awhile. It's like a light hot chocolate. I have it for breakfast and dinner. This, along with the Skyr yogurt, gives me more than 80 grams a day which, I believe, helps me heal.

I hope you're feeling well.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Navy
on 4/5/17 2:57 pm

That's great - I have the Leanfit vanilla at home (my son had bought it) so I'll switch to that.

Most Active