My experience with SF Flavourings

Manda32
on 3/25/17 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Many of you might never experience this, but I thought I would share this because it happened to me.

I'm 11 days post op from VSG surgery. During the majority of my first week, I stuck to water alone, no sugar free flavourings, no nothing. As I got near the end I started using them. And as each day went on, I felt more and more hungry. By Wednesday I was so hungry I felt like I could eat a whole cow. Of course I can't lol

At first I didn't put it together. I was looking online, saying acid can mimic hunger. I am on a PPI so acid, although possible, I thought unlikely. Someone suggested taking an antacid and if it went away then great. Not sure if with what I'm taking if I should try taking other meds, even something like tums.

So there I was on Wednesday night, and hungry as can be. When I would take in fluids I would feel it go away briefly, but at this stage, fluids aren't going to stay in your stomach long and make you feel full. I was to start full fluids the next day, for three weeks. Thinking how am I going to survive for three weeks if I'm feeling this hungry. It's going to be a nightmare!!!

Before this hunger inrease occured, yes I do feel some hunger, its not the same as before, and its not that noticeable.

However at some point on Wednesday I recalled something that my dietitian said in my surgical class, about sugar free flavourings (discussing opti) that they can enduce hunger. My sister who just finished the medical program at my center was also told this and explained the reasoning why.

So, on Thursday I decided not to use any SF flavourings, and what do you know, my out of control hunger was no more.

Day 3 of not using them, and no hunger. Still wish I could eat something with substance I admit, but over bearing hunger no more!

Just a word of caution, if you use sugar flavourings, especially early out after surgery, and you get insanely hungry you might want to try to elminate them and see if there is a difference. The last thing I think anyone wants during the first four weeks post op is feeling super hungry.

I understand this may not happen to everyone who uses them, but apparently it did me, so I thought I would share my experience incase this happend to someone else down the road and if this helps than great.

I admit it does suck not using them, it was nice to have flavour. I'm not using them for the remainder of my full fluid phase not worth it to me. Will see when I start my soft food phase, and can eat someting of substance.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 3/26/17 6:20 am

So glad you were able to figure out the problem and get rid of the awful hunger feelings.

I've been lucky; I"m fine with the zero calorie SF water flavors. I've been drinking my water plain for the past week because they just tasted too sweet to me after awhile, but they got me through a hard part where even water tasted nasty and I wouldn't have gotten it down otherwise. THankfully that stage has passed and water tastes fine to me now.

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Manda32
on 3/27/17 11:37 am

Luckily, water never tasted bad for me, I know some people have that expereince, you just get bored with really no taste. I wish I could use the SF flavourings, but rather not go through that feeling of super hunger.

Oh, well good old water for me lol Not the end of the word :)

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

leeann73
on 3/26/17 2:16 pm

So happy you figured it out. I was worried for you about feeling hungry. That is all we need after this eh? Awesome job!

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Manda32
on 3/27/17 11:39 am

Yes me too!!! Your right, thats all we need when were barely getting any real substance in us. Yes, I feel very relieved to have figured this out!!!

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/17 5:36 pm

Manda --- were these with aspartame? I have been using Stevia --- not too bad.

Manda32
on 9/7/17 10:15 pm

I don't think so, I think its sucralose thats in it. But, I have been told by dietitian that sugar free flavourings can cause hunger cravings. My sister went through the medical program where they do opti for months, and she was told the same thing.

Once I could eat solid foods again, the hunger issue seemed to go away from my water flavouring. I still use the same one, and been good since.

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active