Protein shakes and meal planning

skinny_gigi
on 3/20/17 5:57 pm

Ok I have a problem because I cannot handle anymore protein shakes, and yogurt. I didn't eat till lunch today because my mouth just COULD not eat anymore protein injected yogurt nor another shake!

I had a poached egg (I can only seem to eat the whites) and some melba...and I've moved on to some pureed chicken...

according to TWH i'm supposed to be on protein shakes another week. I've tried cutting the shake with decaf espresso, decaf coffee and it helps, but I'm so tired of the shakes.

So tomorrow I'm having 1 shake and the rest of my protein is coming from real food. I will hit the 70g mark and be around 600 calories, but I know that I can't eat even 1 ounce of protein in a sitting (my pouch just doesn't like the feeling...i just feel very full and uncomfortable...) so I will have to graze all day on this food.

Does anyone see any issue with grazing? I don't mean "free for all grazing"...i mean 40 grams of protein

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

crqvingchange
on 3/20/17 7:26 pm

The only problem i see with grazing is that it will be difficult for you to get in all that food and still observe the 30 minute rule with fluids. I'm worried that you may not get in all your fluids.

Try different kinds of protein pureed. Tuna, salmon, turkey. Add some LF mayo with the pureed protein to help it go down easier. Add unflavoured protein powder to soup, mashed sweet potatoes, oatmeal or cream of wheat, and puddings. During the pureed phase I enjoyed refried beans with a little melted cheese on top. I think Loblaws has the spinach turkey meatballs at the hot food counter. They are really soft in texture (almost pureed) and you can incorporate them into Eggface's ricotta bake recipe. The truth is that in the beginning it can be hard to find something that you really want to eat. When I was newly post-op I relied on Syntrax Cappuccino iced protein shake mix (the coffee in it is decaf) that I had as an iced coffee every morning. I bought it at the Low Carb Grocery in Toronto off Esna Park. It was so sweet that I would add decaf coffee crystals to cut the sweetness, but I drank it to keep my protein numbers up and to get more fluids in. The protein is to help your body to heal from major surgery and it is more of a job for you right now. You have done so well, you got through Opti and the surgery, this will get easier, hugs.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

skinny_gigi
on 3/20/17 7:30 pm

Thanks CC!!! More purée for me!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Starnaenae
on 3/21/17 8:21 am

I try to eat at least 10 g of protein every two hours... something small... generally and i find im hungry at the 2 hour mark... what i do with my 1 shake a day because i dont eat meat is i add half to a decaf coffee mid morning and half to another mid afternoon... generally this is my day

8:00 breakfast

10-1030: shake

1230 - lunch

2: shake

3:30 snack

530-6 dinner

8: snack

i average about 85 g of protein a day!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Most Active