Glad to be home!!!

Manda32
on 3/19/17 9:53 am

Surgery went well. Not going to lie though first couple days were a bit rough. Those gas pains are not fun at all. The pains meds do help, but didn't elminate them.

The nurses were amazing in Guleph, can't say good enough things about the staff there.

I was discharged after lunch on Friday. So happy to go home and sleep! I didn't really sleep at all while I was there. Glad I have no more IV's, pic lines, etc attached to me lol Got home, and the first thing I did was shower...and then sleep. It was so nice to sleep!!

Getting fluids in has been tough. Getting a bit easier as each day goes by. Pain is better, not using my pains meds around the clock, but still using them time to time. Burping like crazy! Is this normal?

I know we have gas to get rid of from the c02 used in surgery, but its non stop sometimes.. I know its got to be normal, but how long does this last?

Well, I'm getting tired, think I need to nap. I will try and get on later, and see what's going on with everyone else.

Thanks for all the support! And thanks Leeann for posting for me!

amanda

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

crqvingchange
on 3/19/17 10:59 am

Glad you're home and everything went well. Work on your fluids, that's the most important thing right now.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Kathy1212
on 3/19/17 12:41 pm

Hi Amanda,

So glad you're home and able to catch up on your sleep.

The gas lasted for a few weeks for me; I started taking GasX about 2 weeks after surgery because the nurse told me not to take it in the hospital as she said it would make things worse. I don't know if she was right or not, but it did help once I started taking it.

Try your best to get your liquids in; you don't want to get dehydrated. On my plan, I was able to count protein shakes as liquids, so that helped a lot.

Hugs,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Manda32
on 3/20/17 10:39 am

Hi Kathy,

Yes, so glad to be home! I will consider the GasX if it persists over a couple weeks. Its managable right now. I wi**** was completely gone, but I can manage it.

Feeling better every day, feeling more human lol

Liquids still challenging, but improving. Haven't made it to six cups yet, around 5, so working towards that.

On my plan, I'm not allowed protein shakes, until after a month. Even then Guelph would rather you eat your protein, so following their rules. I do plan to get some protein shakes to help after the month is up.

I noticed your one post about firefox. I had that happen to me too. Its a new feature on firefox as their was a recent update to the browser. I'm not a computer person...talked to my brother who is. He can't guarantee if that is coming up in the log in that the site is secure, he said Firefox could be 'over protective' or it could be how this website is configured. Basically he said, as long as there is no risk of anything financial being stolen, then probably not a big deal, if the site is insecure.

However there is something you can do, that was suggested by firefox. If you write https:// before the obesity help website it will give you a secure site, and that login notice won't appear. Mind you, if your logged in and want to change your password or any sensitive stuff, that login in notice will appear again...just type https:// in front of the url again and it will secure it again.

Hope that helps.

How are you doing?

Take care.

Amanda

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 3/20/17 10:55 am

It sounds like you're doing great! OMG, I can't imagine not being allowed protein shakes; they basically kept me alive for the first month.

Thanks so much for the info about firefox; I"ll def try that next time I log in!

Take care,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/19/17 5:00 pm - Canada

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Walking is the best way to get that gas out!!!! And tired is something you will be for a few months. Rest up , drink up.....and take care !!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Linda M.
on 3/19/17 5:13 pm - Orillia, Canada

I'm glad you're home and all went well. Wishing you continued improvement.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Manda32
on 3/20/17 10:43 am

Hi Linda,

Wow, two more days for you! Are you excited? Like I said the staff at Guelph is amazing. If you get a night nurse named Linda, she is super amazing!

Feeling better every day. Everyone says every day gets a bit better. It truly does. Gas pains still present to some degree but managable.

How's opti been for you?

Good luck on Wednesday! Best wishes.

amanda

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Linda M.
on 3/20/17 10:53 am - Orillia, Canada

Many thanks. I'm so glad you're home and improving. I know the gas pains will be uncomfortable, but if that's the worst of my worries, I won't mind. Opti has been great. Forgot my ice today and even with just cold water and my shaker, it isn't bad. I have so much work to do that I came in on Saturday and will be working late tonight. It's like preparing to go on vacation for two weeks, but knowing it won't be as fun.

Linda's tend to be nice, so I will look out for her (lol).

Keep the bench warm for me. It's the first day of spring - and I'm still cold.

I appreciate your well wishes.

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

skinny_gigi
on 3/20/17 5:50 pm

Welcome to the LOSERS BENCH!!

OOOH the gas! Honestly it's a bad dream...but in somewhat short retropect this is what I found helpful:

a) ho****er bottle

b) when you walk, really watch your posture, stand up straight and take deep breaths...I find it a bit like burping a baby...the air needs a clear path out..

c) drinking water and gas (for me anyway) went hand in hand. the more I drink the more I burp...and yes...BURPING...BELCHING...most of my gas was through BURPING and Belching and I STILL do it. A LOT. it's really funny and awkward but it's loud and obnoxious and it feels SOOO GOOD.

It gets better EVERYDAY!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active