Relationship with food

kamac
on 3/19/17 8:22 am
VSG on 07/09/18

You're not alone. Speaking for myself, I know I got myself into this mess because of my unhealthy emotional relationship with food and eating.

I'm still a newbie with no surgery date yet, but here a couple of things I've been doing...

This book was recommended to me, I just ordered it and it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it will help me re-calibrate my relationship with food. It's called Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food

It discusses different types of hunger- stomach hunger and cellular hunger can only be satisfied with food, but other types of hunger (eye, nose, ear, mind, heart) can be satisfied in other ways. It has advice about slowing down before we eat, and how to identify the hunger we may be experiencing.

Another thing I'm actively working on, is finding ways I can soothe myself or treat myself without using food, or at least without using unhealthy foods that only make me feel worse the next day. It's not easy. Bubble baths and fresh flowers don't provide nearly the same "punch" as sugary, high carb foods. But I'm slowly learning to tolerate the unpleasant/uncomfortable feelings that occur when I don't use food as a drug, and I can wake up the next morning feeling proud of myself and the progress I'm making towards my ultimate goal.

I think part of this process is just learning to trust ourselves that we can do it!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Kathy1212
on 3/19/17 12:59 pm

I was afraid of the same things, but guess what? After surgery it will seem like all you do is eat or drink, lol. It takes so long to get the protein and liquids in that you feel like eating and drinking is now your full time job.

I was terrified by the small portions that I would be allowed when I was a pre-opper, and now as a 6 and a half week post-opper, I'm more worried that I wont' be able to get all of my protein and water in. Instead of worrying that I can't have enough, I worry now that it seems like too much to get in. So there's no feelings of deprivation, for me, anyway. I haven't been truly hungry since surgery. I have waited too long between meals a few times and felt empty, but after a bite or two, it goes away and I'm satisfied again.

I'm behind a bit because I had some inflammation so had to do 4 weeks of full liquids, which was hard. I'm back on pureed foods now and it's going down fine, and sometimes mentally I'm eager to get to the next stage, but physically, I'm perfectly satisfied where I am.

Don't worry; your new tummy will help you cope with what now seems like major restrictions. You'll do great!

Good luck,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

JenFraser
on 3/28/17 9:24 am
RNY on 03/31/17

jaype83, thank you for posting this. I am in the same position as you, except my surgery date is on Friday of this week!

So for the Optifast diet is going ok. I had one day where I seriously cheated and I felt so guilty that I have been good ever since. I find it funny that my cravings are not for sugar or carbs...They are for protein! Omg, I could eat a whole roasted chicken right now I think. Ironic eh?

The answers people have posted here have been a wonderful boost for me too. I really appreciate all the people who take time to answer questions and provide personal insight. It has definitely helped my confidence too.

Good luck!! You can do this!

Most Active